New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this car driving today and i love the color... its a rich medium gold, and i think it would go well with black. Anyone know the paint code it is?? IT seems to come stock on some PT cruisers, but i searched online and couldnt find anything. Here is a pic:

Here is the same paint but on a model PT cruiser:

Pics dont to the color justice, but i am planning on going with a two tone paint job. Id like to do something similar to mtang4life, but instead of orange/grey id like this gold/black. Black stripe through the front bumper, hood, roof, hatch, and follow thru with the rear bumper and gold everywhere else. Similar to this below:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
i looked around on an auto paint site at some chrysler paints the closest i found was one called inca gold pearl coat. it doesnt seem the same though, the color you have has more yellow in it. here is the site if you'd like to look at some samples.

click me!

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I think it is the inca gold...I dont know if it was exclusive to this model, but this color was on the 2002 Dream Edition. Here is a link.

2002 PT CRUISER Dream Edition

Evidently, these were named for the Woodward Avenue Dream Cruise in the Detroit area. 2001 had a Tangerine Pearl.

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
it only comes on the Dream Cruiser Edition (series 1)... don't ask how I know this.. LOL

the color is Inca Gold

So how does the top-of-the-line Dream Cruiser differ from less singular, less hyphenated Cruisers? What you'll no doubt notice first is its paint job. The Dream Cruiser is painted Inca Gold — an odd green-tinged metallic yellow that makes the car impossible to miss. (The PT Cruiser is available in a host of colors, but you'll have to step up to the Dream Cruiser to get the car in Inca Gold; additionally, this is the only color in which the Dream Cruiser is available.) Despite its patina of exclusivity, we weren't too crazy about the hue, finding it as inescapably mustard as a stripe on the road. And we weren't the only ones put off by it; friends and strangers alike volunteered less-than-glowing opinions regarding the car's unusual shade. "I saw you coming from halfway down the block. It stands out, kinda like a big, fat sore thumb," chuckled the parking attendant at our neighborhood video store. Another observer found the Dream Cruiser's shade anything but dreamy, comparing it instead to "a really bad acid trip." The Dream Cruiser comes with body-colored molding, and its yellow motif also extends to the car's 16-inch chrome wheels, which boast customized gold center caps. Speculation as to the tastefulness of an Inca Gold color scheme is, of course, subjective, but the bottom line is this: The Dream Cruiser's hue definitely adds an exclamation point to the bold statement already conveyed by the Cruiser's unique lines.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by: Crispy
it only comes on the Dream Cruiser Edition (series 1)... don't ask how I know this.. LOL

the color is Inca Gold

Thats an awesome pic! Thanks for the info, now i know the name of the paint, now im going to try to find a paint code.

Edit: I would assume this is a multi stage paint because i looked it up and it states there is a PYJ/YYJ which is the Inca Gold Pearlcoat B/C and there is the PY6/YY6 which is the Inca Gold Pearlcoat according to claymore's website... so i would assume PYJ/YYJ is the base coat, with PY6/YY6 is the top coat? Then a clear over that? Am i correct? On a side note, about how much paint is needed to do an entire car? and how much black paitn would i need to do the stripe like mtangs's. Then how much clear?

After searching i found this website paintscratch.com ive searched for this color via YY6 and it came up as Aztec Yellow Pri Metallic Clearcoat. its 291 a gallon, 100 for clear, and 100 for primer... there is no YYJ paintcode so i assume for paintscratch that is all i need for the gold? I also need a nice jet black, or super glossy black aswell... and a top clear coat to go over the entire car.

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
it very well might be a tri-stage due to its limitability and slight color shift from your picture above... Inca Gold is also a Honda color.. you might want to drive thru a lot and check it out in person and if you like it just use that formula -- I believe it was offered on the new SI?

As far as what you will need.. you definately don't need a gallon of the primary color but if you have alot of interior pieces or additional things you might want to paint the same color then pick one up.. otherwise 2 quarts is a safe number as long as that color covers well.. if its really transparent like a tricoat then you could go thru more because you want to get it to a bright color and all the same depth.. we applied 3 coats of grey, 3 coats of base, 6 coats of orange and 4 coats of clear on my car.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
i know this is a few days past but i stole the inferno red pearl off the pt cruiser. It is a tri-coat ... very expensive for a manufactured paint, i think it went for $140-$175 a quart if i'm not mistaken. I like the crysler colors cause as stated most likely it is a pearl, which has a real nice effect on sunny days. =)

·
Banned
1,329 Posts
yeah thats one of my favorite cougars of all times

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
go for it mike

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.