New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know what I was thinking!

It was about mid-night on the interstate when this 2003 Neon R/T wanted to toy with me. It was late and I was tired so I didn't respond. He took off leaving me behind, pretty impresively. Then he managed to get off the same exit as me. The more I thought about it the more I wanted to see what they can really do. Then it happened...green light...yellow light...red light...We are side by side ready to go! We take off! I think I gained 1.5 feet on him in first gear, but as soon as he shifted I was left behind, like way behind, badly. At the next light I told him "nice run, what do you have?" He told me to look in the front, so I did and there set an inercooler!

That was one bad little car!

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
wait, so was it an SRT-4? Or he just turboed an R/T neon? Either way you probably didn't stand a chance, slightly modded SRT-4s have been known to take out EVOs.

Mike

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
It's a 2.0 eclipse motor if it was the R/T Neon
they sell Hahn and other turbo's for them.

The neon and the SRT-4 Neon look very different, if you are car enthusiast
it's very very easy to tell the difference

M

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by: 99CouGSweetRide
wait, so was it an SRT-4? Or he just turboed an R/T neon? Either way you probably didn't stand a chance, slightly modded SRT-4s have been known to take out EVOs.

Mike
thats an urban legend, no one has ever actually SEEN it happen, only told stories by all the 16 year olds who can afford to buy a little hot rod (cause it is, it is really fast) starts a story and it spreads. if a slightly modded SRT-4 takes out a stock EVO its cause the EVO driver sucks..

·
Registered
429 Posts
I have witnessed an SRT-4 beating an EVO. Both cars only had an exhaust and both are good drivers.

M

·
0 Posts
sorry. not gonna happen

EVO STOCK Dyno at ~250-255 at the wheels at all 4 wheels

SRT-4 stock Wheel dyno ~215-225ish

so it WONT HAPPEN.

like i said, totally respect SRT-4's for their capabilities, but there is no competiton to a EVO/STi cant compare 6 second SRT-4 to 4.5-50 second EVO/STi 's

·
Buyer Beware
6,575 Posts
Umm The EVO dynos about 230 to the wheels. 4wheel draintrain loss is a [censored]

AWD will always own the 0-60..but thats not what racing is always about...

stock to stock..the Evo will get about 2 cars off the line..then the srt-4 would slowly catch up...if the race continued past the 1/4 mark...the Neon would win.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
I have a video of a slightly modded SRT-4 beating an EVO from a roll and a couple times from a stop. I'd love for somebody to host it for me. It's only 3.5MB.

Mike

M

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by: GrandMasterKhan
Umm The EVO dynos about 230 to the wheels. 4wheel draintrain loss is a [censored]

AWD will always own the 0-60..but thats not what racing is always about...

stock to stock..the Evo will get about 2 cars off the line..then the srt-4 would slowly catch up...if the race continued past the 1/4 mark...the Neon would win.
i was waiting for this one..

my evo stock dynoed 251 to the wheels. so please dont tell an EVO owner, how much his car dynos at.. and further proof... otehr owner....dyno slips are proven. i have been around MANY SRT-4's and EVO's NEVER seen one beat, stock for stock. this also comes from PERSONAL EXPERIENCE, when my EVO was stock, there are a couple of SRT-4's running around were i live (all modded) and all wanted to race me, i never lost to a single one, from a roll, from a stop, on the highway. never.

this evo owner, 12k miles, STOCK dynoed 245-253ish EVERY TIME
STCOK EVO DYNO PLOTS

·
Buyer Beware
6,575 Posts
that could possibly be due to climate or where you live. Was your car totally stock? Stock wheels too?

Several Mags all who have dynoed the EVO all list the EVO with around 230 whp. Its the STI which has 250whp. If you want I will even scan the dyno plots.

In fact I have a buddy with an SRT4 who ran dead even with an STI....The Same STI which has beaten his buddies EVO. :shrug:

M

·
0 Posts
well, my stock EVO was ran at Sea Level in a place called GT motorposrts. they use a Dynojet 225x AWD dyno. I was 100% bone stock with 1343 miles on the odo.
and in the same breath there are people in stock evo's who are known to destroy modified STi's. when you are talking about high horsepower cars like these, a slower shift or a reaction time 1/1000 of a second off will appear to be the winner. Motor Trend tested the EVO 0-60 in 4.6seconds and the STi 0-60 at 5 seconds, and the SRT-4 at 5.8 seconds. now the 4-6.5.0 second range can be argued, but 5.8 is the consensus for a SRT-4 and that cannot be confused with 4.6-5.0

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
And then it All boils down to the age old fact that it's ALL ABOUT THE DRIVER. You could have a ferrari and lose to a pinto if you can't drive the damn thing.

Most Dyno's run Differently (as alot of people found out at Fest) Elevation, humidity all that comes into play when you're on a dyno. drgzcoug dynoed around the same HP that jennaj had at fest, him only with Intake exhaust, and her with headers and pretty much everything else.

Every car that comes off the assembly line will run differently, just production variances. So i wouldn't limit a cars HP rating to what ONE car Dynoed, on ONE dyno :)

·
Registered
9,290 Posts
Originally posted by: Ariadne
And then it All boils down to the age old fact that it's ALL ABOUT THE DRIVER. You could have a ferrari and lose to a pinto if you can't drive the damn thing.

Most Dyno's run Differently (as alot of people found out at Fest) Elevation, humidity all that comes into play when you're on a dyno. drgzcoug dynoed around the same HP that jennaj had at fest, him only with Intake exhaust, and her with headers and pretty much everything else.

Every car that comes off the assembly line will run differently, just production variances. So i wouldn't limit a cars HP rating to what ONE car Dynoed, on ONE dyno :)
What she said. Plus mp, you said it yourself.

Originally posted by: mprtklr
when you are talking about high horsepower cars like these, a slower shift or a reaction time 1/1000 of a second off will appear to be the winner.
It's all driver.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I'm so sick of hearing about EVOs and WRXs anyway. :disgust: I prefer hearing about what Raben's car does at least I like firebirds and camaros.

I almost got rear-ended by an SRT-4 he was driving through the city like he was filming F&F3. When he first started coming up on be I was like get over yourself it's only a neon, slow the hell down. Then I noticed the scoop and realized he had accelerated pretty damn fast to get behind me like he did. Next thing you know he flew around a corner and was gone. Like a WRX beating ghost. lol

N

·
0 Posts
in my opinion, i know this will cause me to be hated by a few, but I would take a WS6 anyday over a Wrx or Evo..... but thats just me

·
Registered
902 Posts
95MR2 Turbo!

M

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by: DgnZCoug
in my opinion, i know this will cause me to be hated by a few, but I would take a WS6 anyday over a Wrx or Evo..... but thats just me
nobody's gonna hate you for choosing that car :) i LOVE the WS6. its personal preference. I like the brute force of a firebird or camaro or mustang. but you cant help but admire the ability of the EVO/WRX. show me another car producing 136hp/L stock and can run 0-60 in 4.6 seconds stock. my brothers cobra at 390hp is barely faster than my car. it does what all these cars do great....straight line. but hit some canyons, and those monsters are eating dust.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
it may be stock, but it still has a turbo. Also weight is key. That's the one bad thing about camaros, firebirds...all those V8s, they're freakin'
heavy. I'm not surprised the Cobra is barely faster than the EVO, it weighs near 4000lbs :( You could probably beat it if the conditions were right.

Mike

·
So its begun.....
16,838 Posts
Hmm let me check my vids when I get home..I think I may have an EVOvsSRT4 at the track..

Well. I found the vids..EVOvs Golf, golf won and SRT4 taking out a 350z

1 - 20 of 27 Posts