New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been planning on getting a YZR600 after the first of the year, selling the Cougar in the summer, and getting a beater or truck for a daily driver. But today I happened across a deal.

One of the guys at work wants to sell his 89, LX, 302, T5, for $3000. Nothing has been done performance wise to the Mustang, except suspension. It needs a paint job, and has mad miles....but is in good shape. It was owned by a tech who doesn't skimp and cheat on his own stuff, so it's in great condition.

If I get the Mustang, I would keep the Cougar about the same time...until this summer. Then sell it for a beater truck. That would give me time to overhaul the engine, and what not. Being a 302, any mods are easy and can be done while keeping the car as a daily driver.

My goal would be to make it a 13.5-12.0, daily driver. Which is easy and cheap to do.

The only thing that scares me away is the fact that, I would have to find a place to work on it...leaving it at work for 6 months would be out of the question.

What would you do? Stick with original plan and buy a bike, and worry about building a fun car later....or skip the bike and go straight to the fun car?

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Go to the fun car. Bikes are way too dangerous. 302s should run 13's stock man. You wont have much to do except maybe an overhaul or tuneup.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, I would reseal the engine. The tranny was just overhauled, new clutch, throw out bearing, pressure plate, slave cyl. The rear was rebuilt, but I don't know what gear ratio yet. Engine has something like 260k on it...but running strong, no leaks, no smoke. I would do a complete overhaul/reseal anyway, with some porting of the heads. I figure, GT40 intake, larger injectors, mass air conversion, and ignition system...and I should be running pretty nasty times.

I am leaning towards the Mustang. I was originally thinking Grand National, but I don't want to build a complete race car...and I don't like driving an automatic. Plus with my connections, the Mustang is the better choice.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
the real question is, after ya get rid of the coug, ya still gon' frequent the forumns making sarcastic comments? :evil::tongue:

·
Registered
815 Posts
If it were me I would go for the fox body. But personally I would be looking for a 91-92. From 90-91 the front suspention was improved with better front suspention geometry and a wider front track. Also the tie rod ends/rack were improved. Also the GT model had a quicker ratio steering rack, and if your looking for Auto-X at all I'd find a GT or plan on switching out racks. I would also go with at least a 90 and no newer than a 92, because in 90 they switched to mass air. 92 was the last year for forged internals in the 302, '93 they went to a more cost effective route. I dont believe rear suspention changed really from about 88 to 93 so any year is good. As long as it has the quad-shock setup thats the way to go, once again in my opinion. Granted if your gonna change the rear/front suspention setup it doesnt make that much difference. Also if you get an earlier year, the front K member is different pre-90. You wont get as good of handling and more bump-steer out of those cars unless you make changes. Also the fenders are narrower across the width of the car pre-90 because of the narrower track width, if you swap a better front suspention in I believe that you will need the 90+ fenders to go along with it.

I say go with the fox body. You can go fast for really cheap. Personally I would stay away from anything pre-91 (as 90 didn't have a tilt steering wheel as an option due to the first year of the mustang with an airbag). Also I prefer the hatchbacks over the notch backs, but thats me. But then again with the age of the cars, rust, and everything else its hard enough just coming up with a good shell...

Well anyway thats what I think

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'd go for the motorcycle. Yes, they are dangerous, but so are many other fun things in life. Motorcycle = cheap insurance (if you choose to insure it), great gas mileage, FAST enough to satisfy the need for speed. Motorcycles are fairly easy to repair. After I sell my Cougar I may get a used motorcycle to go from work and back until we move to Europe. I rode a honda magna 750 for about a year and half as my only mode of transportation right after high school. It was great. I had a few close calls and if I hadn't anticipated the driver's mistakes I'd be dead. Not many people look for motorcycle's in the US, especially SUV drivers who can't see you because their vehicle is so damn large.
If you are 100% aware and operate in a safe manor you can ride a motorcycle without the constant worry of instant death. Also, take a motorcycle safety course. You may know everything they tell you, but I learned a few things and it allowed me to be more confident on the road knowing how to handle certain situations. Anyway, good luck with your choice!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts