New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
. . .I was 16 the year was 2000, with about 10k to spend for my first car. the import tuner scene was in full swing and i wanted in. i headed to different dealerships for a 240sx, maybe a civic, those focus svt's were pretty smoking hot as well. when i stumble on a spruce green mettalic 1999 mercury cougar v6. the search ended immediately. it was slightly used 24k but smelled brand new. and had some weird little "super cat" emblems on the front fenders (to this day i have no idea what it meant, maybe a dealer trying to offer a customized ride?) i bought the car and loved it, the chicks loved it, and bone stock i smoked all the little four bangers in the high school parking lot. in a year and a half i put 100k miles on my baby, slowly made some mods to it 18 inch motegi's spent a few thousand on a stereo removed the back seats for the custom sub box and pretty much gutted everything but the dash. there was a company at the time offering a new awesome wide body kit. that was the next addition to my car. i had to have it. i started to save for the purchase when disaster struck. i had to put some new rubber on the wheels so i went with some falcons seemed really sticky liked the tread design ect ect. well after 4 days of the new rubber i had a 5 inch long nipple on my sidewall. i noticed it and figured i'd taek care of it tommorow. . . well tommorow never came. driving about 20 turning into my neighbothood i heard a pop. my car pulled hard left i tweeked right slightly and found myself in a spin over a curb through a tree maybe about 8-12 inches in diameter and ended ina yard tree on top of car, the stump ripped everything from bumper to bumper on the under carriage and fluids everywhere. cracked the fiberglass on my sub box and put me in a deep deep depression. my baby was done for. all the time and effort gone. i've since moved on. i ended up with an awesome f150, a 240sx, and a few other cars since. but ive always had a emptiness. i missed my cougar. well the time has come. i'm currently in iraq and have been pondering what to buy when i get back and the choice is a 1999-2000 cougar. and the plans are going to be insane. there used to be a company in king george virgina who seemed to be the creme de la creme of the new cougar performance market. they were developing turbo's and putting up 300plus hp in thier widebody. is this company stilla round? and if so what did they end up with on the numbers? my dream has been a rwd conversion with a small block ford v8. has this happened yet? is there a cheaper easier way to get in the 350-400hp range using the current set up? i'm sure this project will take some time but with upcoming deployments i've got a few years. i'd love to make the ultimate clean sleeper. no body kit, some no nonsense rims sticky rubber and speed no one will see coming. i can't wait to own a cougar again and see what has developed since i last owned one.

·
Administrator
24,476 Posts
You're talking about CustomCougars, which changed its name to ProMotion Tuning and pretty much forgot about the Cougar. Then they ripped off a lot of customers and disappeared off the face of the earth.

No, your best places for good things now are 3L Duratec and Nautilus Performance Group

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wow that's horrible to hear. well just talked it over with the wifey. gonna pick up a cougar when i get home and start the process. thanks for the two shops to look into. i'll be doing most of the interior mods myself over the weekends for the first year or two. then when i go on my next deployment i'm gonna figure out what kind of performance i want. i'm pretty deadset on finding someone to convert it to rwd and drop a mustang heart in there. i noticed most of you with the 3L are maxing out around 350hp 300ish trq? not bad how reliable is the motor at the point? 350-400 is my goal with a n/a 4.6 or 5.0 which is too easy to achieve. . . .hmmm maybe a cobra heart would be the answer? we'll see i'm figuring 3-4 years to complete this project.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I have made your dream come true! Just not a V8. sorry. lols welcome.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts