New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if I could get some advice. According to the maintenance guide on the 2000 I4 cougar, I need to replace the fuel filter and cabin air filter. I don't want to get ripped off so figured I would turn to the boards for help. I spoke with the dealership, pep boys and local mechanic.
For the dealership:
fuel filter- for part and labor $60.00
cabin airfilter- for part and labor $98.00

pep boys:
fuel filter- for part and labor $44.50
no listing for the cabin air filter

local mechanic:
fuel filter- $53.00
cabin air filter- $53.00

I live in the virginia area, I was wondering if these prices are too high. Pep boys would be the best deal, but unsure what kind of work they do, and no cabin air filter. The local mechanic is better then the dealership but they are ordering a contour fuel filter, which I think is interchangeable with the cougar, but I am unsure.
My concern is the large problem people are having with their fuel filters and I want it done right. I do not have the skill to attempt to replace these myself, or I would. Any help would be appreciated thank you.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Those prices sound about what I'd expect a dealer or shop to charge. They're all rip offs.

A fuel filter costs at most $15 bucks for our car and takes at most 15 min to change. All you need is a jack or one car ramp and a flat head screwdrive and you can change the filter yourself easy. Jack the car up or back it up onto a ramp. Unscrew the clamp holding it inplace. Pull off the plastic clips on the connectors at each end, make sure your fuel filter comes with new clips cause they probably will break off, pull out the fuel filter, being mindful of the gas that will spray you. The install is the reverse. Check some how to sections for more info. It's much easier than you think.

Cabin filters costs a bit more and is a bit more complicated to change but I've let it slide for over 50K mi.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
exactly, rip offs

no regular service should be done by anyone but youself. it is not only cheaper but you can ensure it was done correctly.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Originally posted by: mcon99
exactly, rip offs

no regular service should be done by anyone but youself. it is not only cheaper but you can ensure it was done correctly.
Best advice ever heh.

·
Registered
167 Posts
what is a flat head screwdriver ? is served frozen or on the rocks.................................seriously do it yourself mechanic/ dealers are just out to make a buck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts