New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I'm going to get a new winter beater this fall. I had been thinking I would find a cheap mid-sized pickup...probably a V8 Dakota, but everytime I see an Escape for sale I start to think maybe that might be a good idea.
They are so incredibly cheap...but I would hate to find myself stuck with a bad transmission or something...I have high confidence in the Duratec but I also really like the Dodge drivetrains, just not as much experience with actually working on them even though I have owned them for many years.

Of course theres the benefit of many shared parts if I find myself in a pinch on either the Escape or one of the Cougar's, as well as the ability to pirate the 3.0 when I'm done with the body, but I'm trying not to make that part of my decision making process because Ive got ideas for creative things to do with an old Dakota too.
I suspect the Escape is probably better balanced for slippery roads than a pickup, but my wife already drives an SUV so I dont really need the capabilities that come with that body style.
Mostly I want to pick up a new cheap winter beater and not have to put a lot of work into it both in the short term, and over time.

Thoughts?

(No need for FCA bashing, that stuff falls on deaf ears with me because Ive had nothing but good experiences with numerous Jeeps and Dodges since 1998, even the ones that were beat hard)

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
CD4E is garbage. The rear arches rust out fast and will literally punch through where the suspension bolts too. All the COP 3L's eat coils like its going out of style.

Other than that idk.

·
Administrator
24,234 Posts
My dad had a first-gen Mazda Tribute for a while. Duratec was good, but the trans had some insurmountable issues, and the arches were rusted as well.

·
5,237 Posts
My mom had a 2001 Escape, 3.0L, AWD. Sold it in 2017 and replaced with a new Escape. Had just over 100K, the step bars rusted badly, the rear transfer case developed a small leak, but other than that no mechanical issues beyond normal wear items as far as I can recall. The man who bought it s is still driving it, as far as I know as well.

I always enjoyed driving it, it was a nice little CUV.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think its a nay.
In the right circumstances, I'll bet they would make perfect winter beaters, but after talking through it, I realize I'm really looking for more capability than they offer.
Thanks for the input.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts