New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys......last night.....my friend and I were just messing around.....he drives a 2000 Chevy Blazer.....he beat my ass bad......we're talkin jumped off the line and never looked back......now I realize that he had more low end torque and thats why he jumped quicker.....but why the hell couldn't I catch up?

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Does he have the 6 or the 8?

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
A stock 2000 Blazer goes from 0-60 in 9.3 seconds. They have 190hp, weigh 3800lbs, and have poor aerodynamics. The only advantage is the transmission -- GM automatics are much better than Fords, and automatic transmissions (torque converters, actually) are inherently more efficient when mated to an engine with lots of low-end torque (the Blazer has 250ft-lbs at 2800rpm).

I'm still surprised you lost if he was stock. I've beaten cars that are easily faster than the Blazer. Maybe you need to do a more complete job with the exhaust?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I realize that too.....I mean....I dunno what happened unless my car just didn't wanna get up and go.....but we were both really shocked.......250lbs of torque shouldn't have cost me that much.....I've beaten 96 Grand Prix & 99 Focus Zx3....both were MTX.....so I'm not quite understanding this one....I guess I'll just try to forget about it

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Just to show how wierd this loss to the Blazer is

I just beat ANOTHER Eclipse GS today. I could tell it was a manual by the chip and jerk into 2nd. Those are supposed to go from 0-60 in 9.0, and I beat him by 4 cars to 75 MPH, and then I easily walked away from him when he tried to do a fly-by. And I had a passenger, while he did not.

·
Registered
591 Posts
you think thats wierd? My friend's cavalier convertible beat 2 Eclipse GS-Ts in one night...admitted, the convertible had the top down, and I think the hardtop missed a gear, but still...

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
One thing I've learned with the ATX Cougar is 'dont stand on the gas' right away. It will bog down.

If you ease into the acceleration, you'll find it will take off much quicker.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Another point I have noticed from my experiance with GM and Ford ATX's to date. My previous vehicle was a 1992 Bonneville SSE (3800 V6 170 HP) and its ATX was far superior to the Cougar's ATX. I could stand on the throttle in the bonney and it would go! There was little if any of the hesitation that exists with the Cougar in transitioning through the gears, and if 'trained' right the shift points were very well chosen.

Of'course if you want to cath up, just find a winding road to play on, the blazer, nor the sport supension of the Bonneville wouldn't have a prayer.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I usually turn O/D off.....brake hard and run the rpms up to 2500 then take off......and manually shift 1.....2......D.....OD........and that has made things pretty quick off the line.....but he pulled all the way through 2nd at least.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.