New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,676 Posts
affordable? Not many..2000 watts rms is pretty steep. How big is your wallet?

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Plan on spending AT LEAST $600 per amp! So, at least $1,200 for the amps - around a hundred more for wiring. Then you *might* be good to go. BUT, you drive a Mercury Cougar, that is known to have a less-than adequate alternator and a less-than adequate electrical system. SO, it would be EXTREMELY wise to plan on upgrading your alternator AND purchasing an Optima Yellow Top!

You may want to think about only having one of those subs in your car;) One sub (especially one getting ~2,000 Watts) is going to absolutely POUND in the Cougar.

·
Registered
126 Posts
jeez, sean. if you had things your way, everybody would be running the same gear.

here you have 2 subs that are dual 4 ohm. each sub is 2000 watts. you would need either 2 amps that put out 2000 watts @ 2 ohms, or 1 giant amp that puts out 4000 watts @ 1 ohm. you really can't get that in an affordable package.

·
Premium Member
24,676 Posts
Originally posted by: wadespencer99
w3rd. That is a whole lot of subwoofer.

I have two Kicker L7s, and I think that's too much for any human being...it hurts your throat :rofl:
Wade..Even I have no comment to make on what you just said...:ugh:

:cover:

·
Premium Member
24,676 Posts
rms is normally about half if not a little above... However there is no standard for it.

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
Originally posted by: wadespencer99
w3rd. That is a whole lot of subwoofer.

I have two Kicker L7s, and I think that's too much for any human being...it hurts your throat :rofl:

Thats funny, im using a set of 12" L7s as loaners (run by my JBL 1100.1 which puts out 1100 watts RMS, 2200 max)(i smoke checked my 13w7, its being rebuilt) and they hit but they are pretty weak in comparison to the w7. IMO... of course im a bass freak, i want another 13w7 and another 1100 watt amp... :rofl:

streetfamemlf--- as a rule of thumb, if you are buying a 2000 watt amp for $150 chances are its only putting out 100-200 watts clean power personnally, id run 2 of the JBL BPX2200.1's 2200 watts rms @ 1-4 ohms... thats if your pockets are deep enough, those run 600-800 a piece depending on where you buy them... these produce true clean power... I dunno... just my $.02

Dan

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Originally posted by: LostRacer
rms is normally about half if not a little above... However there is no standard for it.
i beg to diff.. pretty sure rms stands for root means square and there is actually a formula for conversion
but it's been way too long since i had that in class
maybe excelcier will chime in.. :)

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
Originally posted by: tad
Originally posted by: LostRacer
i beg to diff.. pretty sure rms stands for root means square and there is actually a formula for conversion
but it's been way too long since i had that in class
maybe excelcier will chime in.. :)

yes sir you are correct more info

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.