New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has put the guages together, I'll still confused about hookin up the wires for the lights. Any help will be appreciated

Thanks

·
El Mucho Post Whoro
12,140 Posts
Er... the positive lead goes to your fusebox for your console lights (or to the switch), the negative lead gets grounded?

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
i think he's talking about the actual oil pressure signal wire :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I finally installed the Gauges and they work fine...but the oil pressure kinda worries me. When I start the engine the pressure will read about 45 psi...but after about 5 mins it goes around 20-25 (I think that's pretty normal) and when it idles at a stop it goes down to about 6-8. I wondering if this is normal performace for a mechanical gauge or would a Electrical one be better??

·
El Mucho Post Whoro
12,140 Posts
Where did you tap for the oil line?

Generally oil pressure should be higher at start-up, I believe running PSI is about 25 for the Duratec, and at idle it will be somewhat lower due to lower RPMs so oil moving around slower... DanG or another piston-in-block guru help me out here? I would assume that where he tapped might make a difference..

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
unlike the older cars... our oil pressure is non-mechanical... (i'm 90% positive on this one).... so he would of tapped a signal wire.....

if i can remember when i get home i'll check the specs to see what oil pressure should be at normal operating temps, but 20-25 does sound about right.... exigent who has an oil pressure guage will be able to tell you the answer of the top of his head, so you may want to send him a PM

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
rayray, did you get an electrical or mechanical oil pres. gauge? i'm about a week away from buying gauges, but i need to decide whether I should go w/ electric or mechanical. Where did you tap into for signal?

·
El Mucho Post Whoro
12,140 Posts
Originally posted by: PuckPuck
unlike the older cars... our oil pressure is non-mechanical... (i'm 90% positive on this one).... so he would of tapped a signal wire.....

if i can remember when i get home i'll check the specs to see what oil pressure should be at normal operating temps, but 20-25 does sound about right.... exigent who has an oil pressure guage will be able to tell you the answer of the top of his head, so you may want to send him a PM
RayRay PMed me and told me he bought a mechanical gauge. He also posted that above. :) He also PMed me that his install is done and it works fine. I guess he had a mechanical with remote sender or something..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
heh heh...i reread the post above after i posted...got lazy and didn't edit.
i could still use some help deciding whether i should go mech. or elec. :biggrin:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah I got a mechanical gauge and it works good...but I'm kinga still worried about haveing an OIL line coming inside the cabin of the car..lol. Now I just need to put the Volt gauge on...I'll do this weekend and post up if it went good or not. I'll gladly accept any tips on the Volt install, like what lines to tap or ANYTHING. I jut got done puttin the Dragon Z front and I think it was pretty easy. Only took me 2 hours and some drilling...lol. Makes the kat look alot better. :)

·
El Mucho Post Whoro
12,140 Posts
You honestly shouldn't have to tap any specific line, as long as you plug it into the electrical system.. just don't wire it to a switch. ;) It'll be measuring the output of the system total.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah....that's what I was tryin to figure out..if the Electrical is better than the Mechanical ones. Some people said the electrical one cause you don't' have to tap into anything...but it takes longer to respond to pressure...something like that. Then the Mechanical one you don't have to worry about electrical wires..but you have to worry about the oil line and to make sure its not leakin at the tap. So...I'm still tryin to find out which one is better. Guess I'm just gonna have to try them both...lol

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
For volt guage i tapped into the Cig Lighter wires. I did this because they are bigger in size and would more correctly report the voltage... (well it was also recommended in the guage instructions to find a 14 or better guage wire to tap)

·
Registered
28 Posts
i am about to get an oil press guage and i have no idea how to hook this up... can someone help me on this one?

·
Administrator
24,546 Posts
I just did this tonight.

Is it mechanical or electrical?

Mine was a mechanical gauge. I ran the oil line through the firewall alongside the hood release cable. There is a plug in the cylinder head right under the DPFE sensor where you can connect the oil line. Otherwise, you just need a 12v and a ground for the light. I just tapped into the light wire from the trunk release button, and grounded to the chassis.

·
Administrator
24,546 Posts
I'll try and get one tomorrow.

·
Administrator
24,546 Posts
OK here's a photo of where I tapped the oil line feed. This was taken standing over the driver's side fender, alongside the intake tube. The EGR valve should give you a sense of location. It's on the end of the rear cylinder head, facing the drivers' side tire.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
alright i noticed that urs was a 2000 and i think this maybe a difference on a 2002... but is this right?and i should just be able to tap into the oil temp right?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts