New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’m unfortunately just not as car savvy as I’d like to be and recently I’ve been kind of letting my cougar die. I was replacing the bumper after the bolt holes got ripped out when I noticed oil on the underside of the engine. Can anyone tell me which gasket this is and on a scale of 1-10 how screwed my car is? I really don’t have the expendable income to keep repairing the cougar :(
Photograph Motor vehicle White Automotive tire Light

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Tread Vehicle

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Tire Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Tread

Tire Grille Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting
Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Personal protective equipment Auto part Automotive exterior

·
Registered
334 Posts
Usually it leaks out the Power steering pump, Valve Covers or the oil pan. On the engine. I had one on my 01 and thought it was the oil pan or power steering and ended up being the rear valve cover. If you do the valve covers you’ll miss well replace all the gaskets on the top end (upper and lower intake manifold, throttle body, etc) while everything is apart.

If doing the oil pan gasket you’ll need to drain the oil and remove the exhaust pipes around the oil pan. The two that go to the headers.

The other one is you automatic transmission. They make a replacement gasket but you’ll have to drain everything out of it like the engine oil pan gasket.

RockAuto.com is a great place to find all those gaskets. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,121 Posts
It doesn't look like much of a leak. Probably best to just ignore it if you aren't having to fill frequently.

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,812 Posts
Haha, I know, right? I don't see any leak, apart from maybe a little around that transmission pan. If it's not leaving puddles in your driveway, who cares.

·
Premium Member
2,220 Posts
In the words of the TDI community, If it aint leakin, it's empty!

At least in the MTX I didn't have to drop the Y pipe to do the oil pan gasket. Though, IIRC it required some tricky work with flex head extensions and shorty wrenches.

Another place it could be leaking from is the rear valve cover breather, if that's split it would probably leak a few drops of oil an hour. It would also give you a code for unmetered air though.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
From the looks of it I'd say oil pan or the seam between the upper and lower sections of the block thats just rtv'd from the factory. It doesn't look bad enough to be a valve cover. Just find the highest spot that's wet. Oil doesn't normally flow up

1 - 6 of 6 Posts