New Cougar Forum banner

OIL FILTER BALLOONING????

5K views 26 replies 14 participants last post by  BassBoy 
Originally posted by: badkitty01C2
FRAM IS NOT A BAD BRAND. I use a FRAM ToughGuard filter (TG2) and have NEVER had any issues with about 35K on my Coug'. :) I'd stick with FRAM, Wix, or Motorcraft OE filters.

But, yes, FRAM does make the QuakerState filter. Importantly, a FRAM ExtraGuard filter and a QuakerState brand filter ARE NOT THE SAME FILTER. They have different media, and the ExtraGuard media is superior to the QuakerState filter media. The ExtraGuard media has a better single-pass and multi-pass efficiency rating. That's why a QS filter is cheaper than a FRAM -- just a different grade of filter, nothing more.

If you're using a FRAM PH2 for your Cougar (recommended for the Cougar 2.5L)...remember, this is the same oil filter used on the 2003 Mustang GT, Cobra and Mach 1, as well as the 3.0L Taurus and even the Ford F450 V-10 6.8L. It's one tough cookie. It's got long life, low restriction, high strength, and high efficiency.

Basically, you are somehow overpressurizing your filter.

The first thing to fail under overpressurization would be the external gasket on the filter (unless you have your filter torqued on beyond all comprehension). Generally, during Hydrostatic Burst Strength tests, the gasket almost ALWAYS blows/spurts before the dome would balloon or before the lockseam would give. I've seen and performed this test myself. There is also an Impulse (Hydrodynamic) Fatigue Strength test, which is generally for testing the strength of the tapping plate (threaded part) and lockseam of the filter under dynamic pulsation, however, also includes the overall mechanical soundness of the filter (yes, the filter body). The Impulse test cycles the filter from 0 PSI to some higher PSI and at certain frequency (usually 0.5-1 Hz). The pass/fail parameter is a minumum number of cycles before failure.

If something broke inside of the filter, either the relief valve would stick open, or, the cartridge would collapse (implosion rather than explosion). An open relief valve means you get continuous oil flow through your filter, but it doesn't get filtered through the media -- your engine gets unfiltered oil but survives. You would definite tell if you collapsed a filter on your car. If your filter cartridge has collapsed, there will be the same area to circulate oil IN, but since the cartridge is whacked, there may not be enough area to return the oil back to the engine. Thus, you'd have more in and less out, resulting in an increase in internal pressure and your car is being starved of oil.

If not that, I think you should just check your setup for anything working out of order. And if you have seriously mod'd your Coug', even check your oil system pressure and make sure your filter is the right one for your engine setup.

For more filter testing and operation info, do a Web search for "SAE HS-806" and "SAE J1858". Those are standard test procedures for the oil filter market.

That's my $.02...

D$

Don't you work for FRAM? If so, I can sense some bias here :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.