New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im not sure why but the oil drain bolt is stuck... ive never had any problems with it before and im afraid to go any further and round out all the edges. How do i get it out?

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Hi alecte, I've sure been there!

I found that a good, appropriately sized 6-point socket always helped out, for starters. sometimes those bolts are metric, sometimes they've been replaced and are now imperial, so I always check socket fitment when it's my first oil change on a car.

otherwise, you'd be surprised how much a short drive can help! I remember trying to loosen the bolt on a smart fortwo at home, and it wouldn't budge no matter what - so I drove the car about 15 minutes to a rent-by-the-hour workshop, and asked for a 2 foot bar and a bunch of other stuff - and it was insulting to have it break loose without even using the 2 foot bar. it's like it wasn't at all the same car or bolt. same tools as I had at home, but the heat in the engine, pan, and oil made all the difference. alternatively, you could hit it with a MAPP torch or propane torch and probably get somewhere, but I think the drive is simpler and more effective.

if you do round 'em out, a good Irwin-brand vice-grip made for slightly larger bolt heads closed on there ridiculously tight (like, all you can give it, one hand on each handle) and just yanking at it or hammering at it like any other wrench got me out of problems with my last oil pan bolt issue. the bolt was already ruined anyway, so the 3-4$ for a new one was already expected.

Best of luck, I hope this works out. fighting to loosen or remove things that shouldn't normally give you a hard time is the worst!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thank you for your prompt response however,I got the bolt out. well I didn’t get it... I had to go grab somebody that looked like they went in the weight room for the whole year. even they couldn’t get it . they asked for some type of grips and I gave him a set of pliers. He somehow managed to get it out. I don’t know why it was stuck so bad. I’ve never had any problems with it before

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ps youre awsome for the little story. I had also just got back from purchasing oil so i thought it was because the bolt expanded from the heat

·
Registered
846 Posts
Sometimes it helps to double wrench it. Gives you a bit of extra leverage. Also as said above 6point wrenches are a must. When i first got my car the bolt was rounded due to 12pt wrenches.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts