New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering purchasing a Derale oil cooler from summit racing...
How much oil is 'inside' the cooler at any given time?
Will I need more than 5.75-6 containers of oil when i do a change?
Will I need more when I put oil into the engine for the 1st time? how much?
What specific effect does cooling the oil do? Does it help the engine run cooler, does it make the oil last longer, etc..

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Originally posted by: ov3n
I am considering purchasing a Derale oil cooler from summit racing...
How much oil is 'inside' the cooler at any given time?
Will I need more than 5.75-6 containers of oil when i do a change?
Will I need more when I put oil into the engine for the 1st time? how much?
What specific effect does cooling the oil do? Does it help the engine run cooler, does it make the oil last longer, etc..
IMO the summit racing brand one is just as good. I forget the exact model number, perhaps Kinger can chime in. It is an AIR/OIL cooler, much more efficient than a WATER/OIL cooler that the SVT uses.

It probably holds an extra half quart. I would add 6.25 quarts. Put more in first time. Drain cooler each time you do an oil change.

Cooling makes the engine cooler, helps oil last longer, engine last longer.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I had the Derale from summit and actually its for sale if you want mine. It worked great kept my oil temps to 200 degrees in 95 degree ambient with periods of light boost and accel runs :) Install is easy. With that and the Vortech it took about 7 qts of oil. I know when I first filled it up I had to add a quart once it cirulated through the cooler.

·
Premium Member
8,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
IMO the summit racing brand one is just as good. I forget the exact model number, perhaps Kinger can chime in. It is an AIR/OIL cooler, much more efficient than a WATER/OIL cooler that the SVT uses.
The derale i'm looking at is the AIR/OIL one that Summitt sells for like 69 bucks... (i am NOT looking at the one BAT sells for like 200 bucks) The same one you were looking at buying. :)

It probably holds an extra half quart. I would add 6.25 quarts. Put more in first time. Drain cooler each time you do an oil change
Why must the cooler be drained after each oil change if it only holds about 6.25 quarts? wouldn't that small amount get 'diluted' once it gets pumped in with the new oil?

How is installing this for the 1st time handled? How do you get oil INTO the cooler for the 1st time? Will it automatically go into the cooler? What happens with the air in the cooler?

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
i would drain it the first time you do an oil change then not worry... i say this because the first oil change usually picks up all the loose crap that got introduced when you crack the engine open to freshen it up....

after that the .5 or less quarts that it holds isn't worth draining it each time... and unless someone has a very good point as to why i should, i won't be draining it.....

btw: the cooler is a SNAP to install.... although i recommend against using the supplied tie wraps and use your own

1 - 5 of 5 Posts