New Cougar Forum banner

Oil Consumption

510 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  eurocrisp 
#1 ·
alright guys, i just changed my oil when i hit 90K miles yesterday, and when i was dispensing of the old oil, i noticed something.

Ive been using Mobil 1 5W-30 synthetic since i bought the car at 46K miles, and i did my oil changes whenever i had time, meaning every 3000, if i was too busy, i had it done at an oil changing place, rather than myself doing it.

lately with college, i havent had the extra time to do it myself, so i took it to places, however yesterday it did it and that i noticed i poured 5.25 quarts of my old oil back into the bottles to dispose of.

That means over the course of 4K miles (86-90K), i consumed only 1/2 a quart of oil......is this normal at this point in time?

a while ago i remember dumping with 4.5-4.75 quarts but not 5.25!
i have no clue on what oil consumption can say about how well ur engine is running, thats why i wanted opinions from here....

thanks

#2 ·
I would hope you would add oil between changes if you were only getting 4.5 out when you changed. As for the 5.25, that doesnt sound too bad, but I am just under 60,000 miles and when I change oil, it is still up on the dipstick just as high as when i fill up after a change, so I assume I have little to no consumption.

#3 ·
For a 90,000 mile engine, that seems resonable. If you start noticing blue smoke and a loss of acceleration, then there would be some reason for worry.

I always put in 6 qts after a change. I beleive Roush did some testing and found foaming will not occur until about 6.75 qts are in the pan (IIRC).

#5 ·
check under the car, if stuff is wet with oil you prolly have a bad oil pan gasket... mine went from between min/max to just on min within 3000 miles recently

I know mine's toast, ive got ~41k

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.