New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have tried the search function to no avail - can anyone tell me the best way of changing the oil and filter myself:flushed:

I.e. Which side of the car do I jack up - is it relatively easy - is it better to get the garage to do it????

·
Registered
902 Posts
If at all possible, I would suggest getting ramps. Those are the best invenstment my dad has made. Anyway, if I were to jack up a car to do my oil, I would suggest using jack stands and jack up both side of the car (in the front that is).

Dain the oil and replace plug.
Remove the filter from under the car.
Replace filter.
Add oil.

It if fairly easy, but can be messy. You need a BIG oil pan to catch the oil.

Anyhow, good luck.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You should change you own oil because there is no use in paying someone else money to work on your car. All I did, (and you might think it is dangerous) is get a two by four on each side and then 2 two by fours. So you can get the car high enough. It works for me. And it saves money in buying jacks or getting someone else to do it. Just make sure you put the e-brake one! :)

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
When you take the old filter off it's going to spill oil all over the place. I usually spray the area with degreaser then blast it with a hose, otherwise you'll be smeling the burnt oil for a long time.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Personally, I don't like ramps. For starters, they are a pain in the ass to use, and second they are not as practical as jack stands. For a LOT of repair, you need to remove a tire to gain access, or to just give you more room. Try removing a tire while the car is on ramps. ;)

As for using 2x4s....no offense, that is just stupid. I am not one of these "safety police" running around the boards, but seriously, that is a really dumb thing to do. Go to Sears and get a nice set of jackstands, and a good jack. Here is a nice set for $99 at Sears, comes with 3-ton jack and stands. Jack and Stands at Sears

Or you can go to your local parts supply store, they will have stands and jacks. Also try WalMart, they usually have great deals on combo sets. I bought mine from Sears, it came with a 4-ton jack, and (2)6-ton stands. It was on sale for $69. :) Money well spent.

As for changing your own oil, as stated above, it is easy. Put the car on stands, place drain pan under the drain plug. Use an open face wrench to remove the drain plug, and let it drain. I let it sit for about twenty minutes while I am doing other things, just to make sure most of the oil is out of the car. Replace the drain plug, and remove the oil filter. Do this with a filter adapter for a socket wrench, makes life easy. As long as you do not tip the filter upside down, you will not spill any oil. I literally do not get a drop of oil on the ground when I change my oil. Before putting the new filter on, take your finger and smear some oil on the filter seal. Then fill the filter up with fresh oil. You can fit about half a qt of oil in a filter, and it will not be filled up all the way. Basically, you want the filter material to absorb oil before you put it on the car. Add oil, lover the car, run the engine for a few seconds, check oil.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Just curious why do you recommend filling up the filter with oil before putting it back on? I change my oil and do all the steps you said except that one. Just curious what the benefits are or problems are without doing that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts