New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone here in ohio has gutted precats, and if so, have you had it e-checked with gutted precats. Mine is coming up and my precats are no more, so I wanted to know if I can expect passing or not. Thanks for any info.

·
Administrator
24,497 Posts
The general consensus is this. The precats only control smog for the first few minutes after startup. Thet are very close to the engine, so they get up to operating temperature really quick (a cat does no good until it is hot). After a few minutes, the rear (main) catalytic converter gets up to temp, and basically takes over.

I live in Columbus, where they don't smog-check your car (lucky me). So I have no first-hand experience. But regardless, one good catalytic converter should be fine, as long as it's up to operating temperature.

Smog hot!

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
As long as you dont have other issues with your car (air/fuel problems might be important here) you should be fine...just do not let it warm up a few minutes. I'd go for a lengthy, spirited drive myself. You should be ok. Our cars are pretty clean I think.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help. I heard that before, as long as I give her hell for a little while before I go I should be fine, I just wanted to find out from someone who would know first hand.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I hate e-check!

I didnt do anything to my car the first year I had it (feb 2002-April 2003) and I failed echeck! :thumbsdn:
The dude fought with me for about 15 minutes about my car being RWD..
"Its a cougar" said the dude.
"No, Sh!t. Thats what the windshield says," i replied.
In short I was right he was wrong, personally I think thats why I failed.
the Old man couldnt take it that a chick was right.

·
Registered
674 Posts
tell em your car is RWD.. that should be sufficient
uh, then they'll just pull the car forward 10 more feet and run it with the back wheels....but your car will shoot forward b/c it's really FWD and you'll have that nice piece of **** fan thing through your windshield.......Better idea: just buy a bottle of that guaranteed to pass emissions stuff, or if you fail photoshop a reciept saying you spend x amount of money to fix the problem

1 - 7 of 7 Posts