New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
5,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, some special thanks are in order to some of you, as I really didn't do all that much...

Thank you Slade for taking that nasty mechanical problem like a man. Everyone should have seen how calm and collected he was, and we know how much he must have been just annoyed and upset. Hope everything turns out A-OK with the Cougar. :thumbsup:

Thank you Sare for the treat bags :) for dressing up :cool: and for hanging out with us while Slade swapped alternators.

Thank you Slade and Diane for the gift bags. Glow sticks == :cool: You can tell how hip I am, first time I saw them in the bag, I thought they were like pixie sticks :stupid:

Thanks Aaron, for letting Brian (Pyro) crash at your pad!

Brian (Rx) and Bexcat, thanks to the both (well, to the three ;) ) of you for making that long a$$ drive, and then having to go back without cake and ice cream.

Andy and Lisa, again, sorry things went so late, and that I didn't call you. Next time! Hope Lisa enjoyed her first meet. :)

And to everyone else, thank you so much for coming! It's the people that make the event, and :bowdown: you are great bunch of people. I hope you had a great time!

(BTW, Did anybody get a good pic of my costume? 'Cause I never thought to get one :( )

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Aside from all the BS, I had a good time.

Again thanks to Mark and Sarah. I'm sorry I didn't get any pictures of the dirt on your hands. It this the 2nd meet you got dirty?

Slade was very calm. Although he was pretty calm when he and Tony did my alternator. And he didn't even get upset when I stepped on his glasses. I'm still so so sorry

Mary it was real nice to see you again. I don't care you came late. You got stuff going on and I know how it is. I hope things are going good for you and if you need anything let me know.

I don't get any thanks for those gift bags. I was there when Slade bought the stuff, but I had nothing to do with those. Those were all him. And sorry to disappoint Mark, but we'll get you some pixie-stix :tongue:

Jeff, Becky, Brian, Aaron, Andy and Mrs. Andy, it was nice to see you guys again. Justin, it was nice meeting you too. You seem fun.

Hope I'm not forgetting anyone.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Madcat- yeah thanks for leaving me helpless; I guess I saw who my true freinds were this weekend- and some of them I just met! :slap: Oh, and by the way- I had removed those ground wires long ago. There was one remaining but that was not the problem.

Still looking into possible causes but so far to check Ive got- Red lead wire from battery back to regulator (my personal feeling is that this is gonna be the culprit) then there is a possible fuse #7 issue (related to the red wire) and then there is the starter connection to check as well as the harnesses that attach to the alternator. Its going to a shop though cuz I dont have my jack, stands, and creeper here and dont really wanna get under there again anyway. So unless its the fuse or starter connection I want no part of it. Sorry to fill your lives full of long posts about this- just trying to give all info and get all info possible because most of you know how much I trust the dealership...any of them.

Oh and John, J/K. Just messin with ya :thumbsup:

·
Registered
454 Posts
Sled: I swear you have the worst luck of anyone I 'know'.

I'd have gone :crazy: by now and the coug would have gone bye-bye or accidentally left in gear and rolled off a cliff or something.

Hope it all works out in the end for you :)

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
:( :slap:
:flushed: Im sorry buddy. You know I wouldnt have left had I known what the true issue was:( Do you hate me now? I feel bad, since we did just do an alternator with Tony this summer, we have pretty recent experience, but I let ya down.

But I never wanna hear you say youre selling the cougar again. :slap: Clear? Clear.. JK I understand totally, you could just buy a new one, well you know, newer since they dont make um anymore... I still would be your friend even if you dont own a cougar, but only for a little bit... JK Best of Luck bro.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
We's cool John- just bustin your ballz. I had plenty of help. I AM going to sell the car though. You know as much as everyone else how much I love it and how hard Ive had to work to buy it/ mod it but I cant do it anymore. Look at what it's done to me! I never go out, every waking minute is spent worrying about wether someone is messin with it in the parking lot or will I make it home or get stranded...it has taken over me and that's not good.

Now- I know me and what will prolly happen is that the next car (whatever it is) will probably be no different. I will treat it like a baby and mod the hell outta it. I'll do it right next time though. Even if it means I gotta drive a POS for a while between the coug and another real car. I have no clue what I want but you can bet your arse it wont be made in the good ol US of A. Sorry, I am a huge fan of our country but our automakers wont make a better product if we keep buying whatever crap they build just to be american. (think- Aztec....barf!)

Anyway, I wont be leaving NECO...or if I do its not because of not owning a cougar. I will probably have the coug another year or so anyway though so its not like I am selling it tomorrow! Speaking of tomorrow- I will be opperating on her when I get up in the morning. The opperation will probably take 2-3 hours and she will be put under for the duration. If the procedure is a success then she rides again tomorrow evening. If it fails then she gets limped over to a dealership. Either way I should take it to a dealer to have checked out. If my research is correct the problem should go away for good.

·
Registered
229 Posts
i am glad to hear that everything worked out with the ***** slade i was worried when i saw it was raining all day sunday but i hope u find the culprit and get it fixed

and i had fun this weekend at the meet and thanx for the cake and ice cream mark and thanks for the gift bags it gave me something to keep me awake on the way home

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Well the surgery is half over- the wires are disconnected and pulled up to a more accessible location. This has got to be the tightest area ever! I mean 12 year...er, nevermind.

Anyway, just have to tape up and shove the wires back down to where they belong and then the daunting task of reconnecting them. My hands are gonna look like shredded beef by the end of the day. So far- 1 hour to lift car and remove wires. I started to just try and remove the whole thing again but decided I could manage. One Bolt was hand-loose! The lower alternator bolt! Ooops. Good thing I didnt lose it. Ok- back to work. I have pics of everything as I go so a nice how-to might be in the works. You're gonna love my genius lighting scheme...It might be one of the best ghetto techniques Ive done for a while. Almost C-clamp good:thumbsup:

(this better work or else I may drive this car off a bridge....hmmmmm, the Valley View bridge is a popular suicide choice around here...)

For the car people! I will leap from it before going over the edge ;)

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,718 Posts
With a parachute, a la Triple-X?

WELCOME TO THE XANDER ZONE!!!

I'm a tool...

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
...........I am soooo relieved. I think she came outta surgery like a champ. Smooth idle, no flickering even with bright lights and heater on high (the best test) and so far nothing has blown up:cover: She is recovering at idle in the garage now- just need to bring her up to temp before the test drive.

Andy- I believe you were the one who mentioned the whole "red wire" technique so thank you thank you thank you soooo much! I have been a mental case since Saturday...I am so much better now.

I will have pics this week sometime. Bexcat- we are definitely doing this when we swap your alternator. Lets get on that ASAP! I do not wanna do this AND the alternator separate as it would be real easy to do with the alternator out. This is getting done to Dianes car too. Actually, after I test it completely I might be willing to do this for all of you- wether just assisting or actually doing it...for a slight fee (it really is difficult to get at the wires)- but it will be cheap and might save you big bucks for a new alternator every year. I offer no guarantees- only that there is a FORD TSB for this exact mod and I followed it word for word so if you dont trust me then at least have your dealer do this for you. You will be happier for doing it.

Again, thanks to all of you who helped me out this weekend (in no particular order); Andy, Brian, Justin, Mark, Sarah, Diane, Jeff, and anyone else who lent support. :grouphug:

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Slade, I m tired of being left out! I wasnt there for everything, BUT I did relay the message from Brian to you! Now dangit, for that you have to do this mod for me free of charge, minus the ski trip at Snow Trails and staying overnight, we ll make out of the weekend this winter. The car is done for the year minus mods that can be done at my house, or that are crucial..... Engine improvements as its about time to make a CAI as I just found a friend at school whos dad does exhaust and can get us pipe.... Slade what bends do we need again???? Also DMD time I think, so we can do all this at a winter ski meet sometime.

Glad to hear everythings good again buddy! Andy thanks for bringing up that problem solver cuz it saved slades life!!

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
.............still got a 9318 but the car seems to be running fine. We shall see this evening when it's dark...easier to see the gauges. I dunno...now I have some doubts but tomorrow I will check the wires to make sure they didnt rip off or burn up or anything just to be sure (they are right next to the rear bank pre-cat...good place for wires :rolleyes: Now that I think about it maybe I didnt leave enough slack in the line and the part I tied to the subframe was too tight and when the motor shifts it pulled loose? Damn I hope not. Oh well...Ford still sucks.

·
5,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What the heck is the 9318?

I've had that for as long as I can remember, but never had *any* problems w/ alternator, or battery light, or lights flickering, or anything. I don't think I'd worry about that particular bit of your issue.

Good luck dude.

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,718 Posts
Me too. I have a 9318 ALL THE TIME, good alternator or bad. I have no idea why the 9318 is always on...

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
THAT'S WHAT I SAID!! I've had a 9318 since I can remember. I told him not to worry cuz everyone has it, but still. All will not be well until there are no codes. Although when the alternator intstall was done, he did diagnostic and he had no codes.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Hummm very interesting.... I think we should do it without changing the alt. to see if the Battery light goes away?

·
Registered
674 Posts
yea I had the 9318 all the time. I complained to pep boys constantly till they finally did several hours of tests. Didnt find a thing. Weird. The problem went away (well more like switched) when I started my "new" series of CEL's, twas a range of 4 different ones. Turned out to be a really damn dirty UIM and EGR passageway. Weird again.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts