New Cougar Forum banner
4821 - 4830 of 4830 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,858 Posts
Getting itchy. I've been laser focused on a lot of non-fun stuff for weeks now and haven't been able to work on any fun stuff.

·
Premium Member
4,858 Posts
Welp. I guess I'm going to be back in Ohio with the yellow car again. This car was supposed to be retired like six years ago now :ROFLMAO:
Going to be working in Cambridge for about three weeks starting the last week of this month.
Probably spend at least one weekend in Indy.
Currently wishing I had finished fixing my suspension so I could enjoy some spirited driving in hillbilly country while I'm there. Maybe I'll bring some stuff and see if I cant get it done while I'm there...All I really need to buy is a strut for the front and get a rear subframe welded up. I'll be around a bunch of welders so I could probably find someone to take care of that for me pretty easily.

·
Premium Member
4,858 Posts
Going here for lack of a better place:

I randomly stumbled across this on Craigslist. This dude is pretty proud of his intake manifold :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting Helmet Automotive tire Vehicle

·
Premium Member
4,858 Posts
I suppose at $60 for injectors, $40 for each manifold, $40 for the TB, and $40 for the valve cover set, his price isn't THAT crazy, it just seems like an awful lot of money for parts that every junkyard has dozens of.

·
Premium Member
4,858 Posts
Stumbled over a pretty decent looking zetec for sale in Middletown. I'm always surprised to see Cougars that appear mostly rust free for sale in the rust belt.

Car Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Land vehicle

It does look like he slapped a hood ornament on it but... 🤷‍♂️ :ROFLMAO:

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
27,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,827 ·
Interesting choice of accent colors, too... I would much rather see it 100% unmolested than questionably decorated. Low miles though, and easily reversible! Just needs some boost and some rubber, and it's a GEM.

(disclaimer: after driving this Element for a couple of months, I've decided I've got no use for slow cars, LOL)

·
Premium Member
4,858 Posts
I drove the triple nickel last weekend in my Miata.
Its been a couple years since I did it in my Cougar so the comparison has limited value.
But
To my recollection, I sort of think the longer and heavier Cougar was a little more enjoyable, the Miata was faster, but a bit scarier. The 555 is a roller coaster of hillcrests and curves and the lightweight Miata really feels the negative G's more dramatically which makes the recovery a lot more hair-raising. I can also definitely feel the rear end in the Miata losing grip in hard braking where the Cougar seems to grip harder the more you ask from it.

Don't get me wrong, the Miata is an amazing car, I can certainly accelerate out of turns and brake into them much faster in the Miata, and I'm sure in back to back time trials the Miata would crush the Cougar, Its just that I'm realizing the size and weight of our Cougars have advantages too.
FWD vs RWD changes the feel in the turns too...I cant really put my finger on how to describe the difference yet, but I'll try: Entering into the turn, the Miata will brake faster but also feel looser while doing it. That 50/50 weight distribution is clearly not a thing when braking hard. In the middle, I think I would get on the gas earlier in the Cougar because I don't feel like I'm going to lose the rear end, but exiting the turn the Miata just launches while the Cougar takes a little time.

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
27,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,829 ·
There's also the matter of your comfort level with the Cougar, having driven it for so many years. I'm sure if it were the other way around, you'd probably be flabbergasted at how dopey this big FWD boat really is, LOL

·
Premium Member
4,858 Posts
Yeah, that's probably whats coming when I finally get the project car on the road :ROFLMAO:

4821 - 4830 of 4830 Posts