New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A guy just got hired where I work and he has a 99 Spruce Green V6 ATX. I started talking to him and told him about NECO (he has no computer though
). He told me he has had problems with the factory alarm for about 6 months now. He has 65,000 miles so warranty is out of the question. He says he'll park it, set the alarm with the FOB (lights flash, no sound) and go into the store. He'll come out and the alarm will be going off. He said one time he was in Wal-Mart and they called over the intercom that his alarm was going off. He went outside, turned it off and went back. They called again about 6 minutes later. I don't know what to tell him and he doesn't want to waste the $$ on an aftermarket. Any ideas? Fett?

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Since you haven't had a response as yet, I'll give you my 2 cents. First, you can always find a computer on the net at the local library if you need one. Second, the '99 ONLY flashes the lamps to indicate the alarm is setting okay ( you don't have a door agar or hood and trunk are unlatched). There is no sound. Third, if this is happening only in the Wal-Mart parking lot, someone is dicking with his car.. solution: find a better place to shop.

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
I'm assuming the story about what happend at Wal-mart is just one example of many...

Second, the '99 ONLY flashes the lamps to indicate the alarm is setting okay ( you don't have a door agar or hood and trunk are unlatched).
My 99 flashes as well as beeps.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wal-Mart was just an example. It has done this where we work. We were outside talking about 2 AM and it just went off, not a soul around.

My 99 doesn't beep either, just flashes. His build date was like 10/28/98. Mine was 12/18/98.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Thought: I think one of your closer sensors isn't adjusted correctly. Like the trunk or hood, or even possibly one of the doors. After you leave the car the sensor "opens" and causes the alarm to sound. you might be able to check each sensor to see if it is adjusted properly and if everything looks ok.. by=pass them one at a time until the problem goes away.

My system was more sensitive when I bought the car than it is today.. just look at the car wrong and it would sound the alarm..

·
Registered
275 Posts
I don't know if this has anything to do with it but, if you pop your hood and (with your hand) push up and down on the sensor then the car beeps and weird things happen. The unlock function doesn't work on the fob, and the alarm beeps when you shut the door. After about 30 min it reset itself. I don't know, maybe my cougar is weird?

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know it's not the hood bouncy thingy. It's a constant alarm.

How do you by-pass each sensor?

·
Registered
271 Posts
I had a 98 Zx2 that had the same problem with the factory alarm - would go off totally at random and at times the remote wouldn't work to arm/disarm/unlock as well. The dealer tested it, reprogramed the remotes and it still did it -- the only reason they could come up with was that the alarm was picking up a signal from something else that was setting it off. I know that with the older systems the remotes worked from a much further distance than the newer ones do. Maybe they realized that they were picking up too many stray signals and that's why they cut them back?

Good luck.

Chuck

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Well if it's highly annoying, and he's too cheap to buy an aftermarket alarm, unplug the horn for the alarm. Take out the right rear interior panel and there's a blue wire, just unplug it :) he'll still have the lights but no loud ass honking.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's what I did. I did that to mine too but because I have a bad sensor for the somewhere and would do the horn/trunk beep.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts