New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure what's wrong with it, but everything on the display, both temp and clock/odometer, on my 99 cougar, is flashing and going nuts. The numbers are changing perpetually, and the ! thing blinks, also a big S, which is to the left of that, and then something next to that too, and theres like a lowercase r next to my clock... I can't really read anything except for the odometer because of all the blinking/flashing. It looks like it's got some kind of malfunction. Nothing is wrong with the car, and this just started. Any ideas? Maybe unplug the battery for a little bit?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm not sure what your problem is but I think I've got a milder form of it. My dash display continually gets brighter and dimmer continuously. My car is under warranty and I'll be taking it in to get this and several other problems fixed shortly, and if I find out the problem I'll let you know.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Brooke...what year is your car....sounds like the problem you are having is the alenator....search it on the board and you will find the cars are known to have issues....If you are still under warranty get it taken care of and save yourself the money.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Originally posted by: nikkilynn
I'm not sure what's wrong with it, but everything on the display, both temp and clock/odometer, on my 99 cougar, is flashing and going nuts. The numbers are changing perpetually, and the ! thing blinks, also a big S, which is to the left of that, and then something next to that too, and theres like a lowercase r next to my clock... I can't really read anything except for the odometer because of all the blinking/flashing. It looks like it's got some kind of malfunction. Nothing is wrong with the car, and this just started. Any ideas? Maybe unplug the battery for a little bit?

Sounds like maybe a lose cable in the back of the display....or it is in diagnostic mode...try and hit the reset button and it might go back to normal.

·
Registered
428 Posts
check the main battery, keeping in mind that the odometer has another battery. Also, a loose connection would cause the clock & odometer to stop working. I had chinese writing on mine for a while. I fixed it by cleaning the contacts on the back of the cluster and reseating the connections.

·
Registered
57 Posts
There is a fix for the flashing/blinking display, check the how-to's. I had the same problem and I took it to my dealer this week and they put in a new voltage sensor with less resistance and this fixed the problem as well. Either solution will work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts