New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About how many right-hand drive Cougars of our series made:confused: My guess would be somewhere between 10,000-15,000. As far as I know right hand drive Cougars were officialy sold in the UK, Ireland and Australia and possibly in Japan. Our cars were probably the largest number of US factory made/assembled cars made with right-hand drive for export in many years. So, does anybody have an accurate number? :cool:

·
Registered
429 Posts
Are there any RHD cougars in the US. If not does anyone have any idea what it might cost to have one imported. A RHD cougar would be sweet.
James weren't you talking about doing this once.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
I should be posting information on the questions you ask by years end :) Importing a RHD Cougar to the US is not possible. I already did it and was refused.

·
Registered
364 Posts
always wanted to do a RHD conversion, but never could afford to, now i hear rumors that someone is in the process of doing it, and im guessing with a picture like james has here its a true one

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Originally posted by: ProjectCougar
No idea.... I doubt those statistics are available to the general public.
Why not? Toyota released how many supras were built each year complete with tranny option/color/tt or not. Nissan did the same for the 300zx, i've seen stats on both cars.

Maybe American companies are more private in this area? :shrug:

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Besides our cars, there has been some US factory made RHD cars/light trucks. Ford has made runs of F-series trucks for the Australian market. Around 1995-1999 Subaru made RHD cars at their plant in Indiana for USPS rural delivery contract workers in the US. For many years, some Jeep or Jeep based vehicle models were made for US (for postal service/contractor use) and export with RHD. In the 1970's, AMC made a number of 4 door Matadors with RHD, for US postal service and rural contract delivery use. Thanks for the Austrailan #'s Professor Sabere.

G

·
Wow , i learned something new, only 1,000 or less cougars in Australia, thats nice to know, but why then would they make special taillights if only so few made and exsitant there?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Originally posted by: PhoenixCougar
Wow , i learned something new, only 1,000 or less cougars in Australia, thats nice to know, but why then would they make special taillights if only so few made and exsitant there?
I don't think Ford expected it to be such a flop here. ****ty marketing didn't help. Anyway required by law to have yellow indicators. Same lights used for euro Cougars.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Do you have any idea how much that would cost?
What's your point? I thought you were made of money?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
From the UK area of this site, got a number of 12,500 for all 1999-2002 model years (in UK, 2001-02 called Cougar 2). The UK person got his numbers from his local dealer. So lets add up:
UK: 12,500 + Australia: 988 = about 13,488. My guess above seems to be in the range.

:cool: That would mean about less than 6% (13,488 of about 225,000 total units made) were RHD's

;)

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Kinger why do you continue to stir up crap. Great way to be a moderator

Sarcasm my friend, just sarcasm. :)

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
This information is simply based on 1 year of runarounds by the DOT and EPA... but here is what I have....

1. Buy a UK Cougar (Easy to do, I even did it)
2. Ship a UK Cougar to a US Port (Easy to do, again I did it)
3. Get EPA Approval (Easy to do since the RHD has same Emissions, again I did it)
4. Get DOT Approval - This is where they get you.

You have to prove that the RHD Cougar crashes the same way as the LHD for safety DOT Reasons. Well we all know that in theroy it should right? Ok well in order to prove it to DOT, FORD or in this case since the car is no longer produced, must have crashed atleast 5 of the vehicles. Well sorry but I refuse to buy 6 cougars, 5 of which will be totalled :)

There is a loop hole. The loop hole is a show/display or race vehicle. You can import these cars. You still have to go through steps 1-3 above. Instead of #4, you are simply limited to I believe it was 1200 miles in 12 months! At ths end of the 12 months, you must ship the car back to the Origin Country. Again not a cost effective way to get a RHD Car.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
This information is simply based on 1 year of runarounds by the DOT and EPA... but here is what I have....

1. Buy a UK Cougar (Easy to do, I even did it)
2. Ship a UK Cougar to a US Port (Easy to do, again I did it)
3. Get EPA Approval (Easy to do since the RHD has same Emissions, again I did it)
4. Get DOT Approval - This is where they get you.

You have to prove that the RHD Cougar crashes the same way as the LHD for safety DOT Reasons. Well we all know that in theroy it should right? Ok well in order to prove it to DOT, FORD or in this case since the car is no longer produced, must have crashed atleast 5 of the vehicles. Well sorry but I refuse to buy 6 cougars, 5 of which will be totalled :)

There is a loop hole. The loop hole is a show/display or race vehicle. You can import these cars. You still have to go through steps 1-3 above. Instead of #4, you are simply limited to I believe it was 1200 miles in 12 months! At ths end of the 12 months, you must ship the car back to the Origin Country. Again not a cost effective way to get a RHD Car.

No wonder you get full points on interior if they knew you had to go through all that!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts