New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I filled my car with it off and the key out of the igination. Later that evening the "fill me" light came on and my fuel gauge was reading empty... I stopped and checked the gas cap seated nice and square and tight. Shut down the car and restarted and fine...for a little then it did it again and restarting the car didn't help. I knew that I had a full tank of gas so I was like whatever it will go to the dealer for a fuel sender sensor tomorrow. On the way home it went out and the gauge has been accurate since. Today was helping a friend move...go in the car to go to the storage place and my air bag light was blinking...again shut off the car...restarted and it was fine. It has not come back on since and there have been times when it was just sitting for a while.

Anyone have any ideas. I don't think my alenator is going yet...waiting for it though. My dash does dim slightly at idle, but my head lights do not. Any ideas...and yes it is still under warranty thank god.

G

·
you will probably find that you need to have the in-tank float replaced, sometimes it forgets how to float therefore your car believes you to have no fuel (hence guage and light) when you do. I had my float replaced at least 2x (as well as the fuel pump but that's another story). A slight dimming of your dash could signify the need for a new alternator- mine did, and a week after I traded it the dealer had to replace the alternator althou it never really was a big problem while I owned the cougar. good luck to ya :)

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To add a new twist...and kind of confirms what starshadow was saying...I was lot low on fuel yesterday when I filled up the gauge never moved....I just thought o great here we go again. This one is going to be a pain to prove to the dealer...fun fun...

G

·
i had no problem getting the dealer to fix it. simply front up to the service dept, talk to someone, and explain that when you fill your tank, the guage doesn't register the fact that it is full and that it takes time for this to happen. for me, it used to take anywhere from a 1/2 hour to 3-4 days till the car would realize there was gas. I would also suggest taking it to them at a 1/4 tank since they will have to drop your gas tank to fix the problem (less possibility of you loosing fuel you paid for). if you are under warrantee they will do it for free, just be straight up and firm and don't let them send you packing. good luck to you.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sweet thanks starshower....already on good terms with em at the dealer...have to go pick up parts from em soon anyway.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts