New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my break from classes i was on Atherton Street in State College headed toward Boalsburg. I WAS going to stop at the McDonalds but I happened to look into my rearview and saw 2 cars side by side. A tibby with a bodykit and and older style Celica with a bodykit as well so I decided to go straight. :biggrin:

The tibby ended up turning off at some road and the celica flys by me doing probably about 75 (I was going 50) and slows down up ahead. I kept it in 4th gear until I got close to him and downshifted. My lane had a car about 100-150 feet ahead of me and his lane was clear so I knew not much was going to happen but i'd figure i'd see what it had. He also had a whole bunch of "TRD" go faster stickers.

I got up beside him at about 4400 RPM's and he was staring at me already so I punched it. He was probably in his powerband as well judging by the engine sound. To my suprise, he fell back and gained no ground on me until I let off (which was probably about 5 seconds due to the car in front). After I let off, the classic ricer flyby came next, and he exited. I didn't follow, went to McDonalds and ate.

Has anyone ever ran against the older Celica's? My best guess to as what year would be about 96-98. If so, what was your outcome?

·
Registered
638 Posts
there slow has hell 4cylinder junk. My friend had one which was a 5 speed gt-s it was a 95-96 it had the 4 circle headlights and he had header, exaust, and intake and a few other things. and ran a 16.6 the track.

·
Registered
9,290 Posts
Flip up headlights or not? The kind purepimpin is describing are the newer ones, the ones before that had a rounded body style. Older ones were complete turds. Gt-s had 120hp i think from a 2.2L? St had 1.6 making like 90 or something dumb.. NewER styles w/ the tibby headlights had more.

Good kill though. I ran a 90 ST auto in my 93 Probe 2.0 Auto and kicked his ass.. so.. yea.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
2000 Hyundai Tiburon (Older style)

Engine Size: 2.0L

Number of Cylinders: Inline 4

Camshaft Double overhead cam (DOHC)

Horsepower: 140 hp @ 6000 rpm

Torque: 133 ft-lbs @ 4800 rpm

Acceleration:
(0-60 mph in seconds) 8.5

Nothing really big there......

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Thanks Lee for pointing that out! :poke:

Toyota Celica (Older)

Engine Size: 2.2L

Horsepower: 135 hp @ 5400 rpm

Torque: 145 ft-lbs @ 4400 rpm

Acceleration:
(0-60 mph in seconds) 8.3

·
Registered
5,443 Posts
Originally posted by: mond12345
Thanks Lee for pointing that out! :poke:

Toyota Celica (Older)

Engine Size: 2.2L

Horsepower: 135 hp @ 5400 rpm

Torque: 145 ft-lbs @ 4400 rpm

Acceleration:
(0-60 mph in seconds) 8.3
aww I was hoping it was one of the all trak ones! *drool*

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.