New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so this azzzzzzzzhole broke into the condo and smashed three car windows and i looking quick at the car thought i was safe... But I was looking thouroughly at my bike and then came across....The stupic jerk slammed a crow bar like thing on the door frame in between the front windshield and the passenger side window..(ya know)...anyways he literally cracked it in two places. And instead of breaking my window he tried to lift it out or something because the window was over the plastic part(cops took fingerprints)...but i can`t claim it because that goes with the house insurance...and last month the freak upstairs had a flood and they are coming to redo the entire ceiling and four walls in my place...so i dont want to be high risk ya know.
anyways..........how much do you think it will cost to fix...i`m thinking i need a new door frame....but i dont know if they can bang that out....uuuuuugh. And i am definitely not going to Ford to get an estimate!!!
Carolyne...

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
I don't understand how somebody vandalizing your car goes on your home-owners or renters insurance. I see you're in Canada, maybe it's like that there only, or maybe I'm just unimformed. I also don't know why you wouldn't go to Ford to get an estimate... these guys work on Cougars all the time, and the estimate is going to be about the same for labor, considering $60-75/hr American as average. Even though you get an estimate doesn't mean you need to use them anyway. Where the money might not be the same is for the parts themselves, and I don't know why you'd want inferior parts. Don't short-change yourself. These are very legitamate claims and if you get punished for them I'd get a new insurance company.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree Ford parts are superior but my experience here with Ford has been anything but superior. But if i am able to have it bumped out i am surely going to... elsewhere. It may be the dealership that i go to....i mean i see positive feedback people have wrote about Ford but...I have had "numerous" problems even to the point i have contacted Ford in Oakville to make complaints. Maybe i will try another dealership and see there reaction...I just don't want to have to deal with my dealership....
But as for insurance...this is my first time owning and i have learned alot of things that ididn't know before....but it was the officer who said that it was home insurance...i am assuming because it was a break-in, in the garage...

·
Registered
139 Posts
i though i was the only one i had my car in the shop getting my kam hood put on when someone broke into the collision center and broke into my car and taking a crowbar to my door trying to open it. i now a little but not being abel to see it i would say probably could fix your door and costing you about 500 bucks depending on where you go. where are you from in canada i am from new brunswick

G

·
I'd say go to the dealership. An estimate is just that, an estimate. Take it to a few places and see how much they want, then you can average a good price. Also, your homeowners insurance covers any damage done to your home or anything in your home. So, if your car is in your garage and gets banged up, it's covered. Don't quote me on that, though!

G

·
your garage is classed as part of the house and anything inside of it falls under house insurance, somehow fire and theft is classed otherwise, when my car goes into the garage for winter i have to keep fire and theft on it. :shrug:

·
Registered
324 Posts
ignernt i know it sounds weird but if your car is parked on private property if soemthing happens you can charge it to the home owners insurance same with an injury to someone who is on your property primaraly though that is used in the case of a business. say your at the McD's down the street and you slip and fall. Well McD's property insurance is billed. if that makes any sense at all. Like i said i know it sounds wierd but working at a hospital believe me ive seen it

G

·
Lets get some things straight about your insurance since I think this might help you decide what to do. I'm a senior claim rep for one of the largest insurance companies in the world, I handle claims for all kinds of policies except auto (seperate division handles those). Not sure what kind of policy you have on your condo, you might just have renters insurance or you might have condo-owners insurance, which covers basically everything from the "drywall in." (Not the structure itself, your association is responsible for repairs to this, thats why you would pay condo assoc dues). Assuming you have renters, or the condo owners policy, or just a standard homeowners policy, your policy provides coverage to your personal property anywhere in the world. Your auto is excluded under any of these policies, no matter where it is. Squamduck's post about his car in the garage in the winter might be an exception if the car is not in working order. Your renters/condo/homeowners policy would provide coverage for items (clothes, cell phone, etc) that are LOOSE in your vehicle and not attached. Attached items and damage to the vehicle itself would be covered under your comprehensive coverage under your auto policy. From your post, it looks like your biggest concern is the repair of the car, so unless your personal property loss would exceed your renters/condo/homeowners deductible, I wouldn't bother turning a claim in on that policy.
There are lots of specifics that apply, but the above is general and would apply to most policies throughout the US and Canada.
PM me if you have any questions

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the info...
i am going tomorrow for an estimate and as you say...its probably going to be less than 500$ or a bit more...my deductible is 500$ so i wont claim it in. But I hear what you are saying but the police officer is the one who said that it is under my home insurance. And believe me learned alot about insurance because of the flood...i had to call my insurance for the computer damage...and he had to call his for my interior damage.....and then we had to notify the condo insurance because they are responsible for in between the walls...it was sorta annoying...and i have been in this condo with ugly water holed ceilings for two months...the contractors arent coming till next week. but if i need any info i'll PM you.
thanks again....
caro...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts