New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has been talked about in the past but I wanted to revisit it. Why will a front or rear bank mounted only turbo not work? I'm thinking the rear side tight to the firewall and down a little low to get the right clearance for the turbo.

Last I read it was something with exhaust pulses and being different from the front bank which would have no turbo to the rear bank which would be spinning the exhaust turbine. Realisitically since no one really runs over 6-8 psi, a small little cheap oem turbo could be used to generate that much cfm correct?

I'm thinking a budget system that would include a rear header and Y-pipe to join the front bank to the rear bank after the turbo then all the piping to the TB. I know it would not be ideal but if it adds 50-70hp would it matter if it was a perfectly designed system? The cost to get a perfectly designed system is just so extreme and worth more then the value of the car it doesn't make sense.

No flaming please just some discussion on the side effects, damage that could result, etc. Thanks :)

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
Originally posted by: Kinger

Last I read it was something with exhaust pulses and being different from the front bank which would have no turbo to the rear bank which would be spinning the exhaust turbine.

Don't know turbo stuff that well but that sounds about right to me. you want/need equalization between the two banks with regard to back pressure and such..

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You don't get that with any turbo system, because it would imply that the lengths of the pipes would need to be the same and they are not. I know it may not be optimal just wondering how far form optimal is mat actually be.

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
there is a far difference from un equal length tubes on you headers and having the back pressure of a turbo on one bank and not on the other. Just seems like it woudl be very far from optimal, but I am sure worse things have been done to engines.

·
Registered
324 Posts
i say mount at y pipe, a little custom fabrication, pick up a junkyard y pipe and weld a flange on it and bolt the turbo on there

more math goes in mounting on one bank and math hurts my forehead

·
Registered
5,443 Posts
Originally posted by: shallowshowcase
i say mount at y pipe, a little custom fabrication, pick up a junkyard y pipe and weld a flange on it and bolt the turbo on there

more math goes in mounting on one bank and math hurts my forehead
Thats why you own an eclipse now

:cover:

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
The side without the huge restriction of the turbo would run very lean and very hot comparatively.

The engine would effectively run like 2 attached 3 cylinders operating at different efficiencies and having different fuel requirements.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So different injectors for the rear bank and the front bank to compensate. It would take 3 widebands during R&D but then you just tune the injector pulses the same at the EEC but manuall compansate with the variation in size?

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah I guess looking into things a rear mounted system could probably accomplish the same thing depending on which turbo you pick.

·
Buyer Beware
6,575 Posts
A turbo at the ypipe is something I had been thinking about a bit. There is enough room. But then again it would be a tight fit. My biggest concern is Where to put the MAF and intake? Other than that it seems like a pretty simple layout underthere. The cool side pipe could run up under the tranny then through an FMIC and then up through the drivers side through a 3.5"hole and then into the TB

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
i agree with gmk, i coulf see some people saying since the turbo being under there could get damaged .......What about a skid plate under there to cover it?

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
This is not even a valid option.

Think about it for a second. Just one.

3 big issues stand out:
You would need a custom stand alone system that let you tune each cylinder individually. (i.e. 2-3 grand!)
You would pray that on your first few baseline tunes you did not fry half the engine from being too lean. The differences in efficiency would be staggering.
You only have HALF the exhaust energy to power the turbo. That means twice the lag, half the compressor efficiency, half the max cfm ability. (i.e. making a 3L engine into a 3 cylinder 1.5L in ability)

The short answer is it would be just an excercise in futility verses adding that 12-24" of extra piping.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Ok, here's the million dollar question... WHY!?!?!?

Why are you so bent on making a turbo un on just one bank? You are going to have problems with the motor, you'll have less power, you'll have to make some kind of custom setup since nobody makes something like this. It just isn't worth it!!

Why wouldn't you want to just put it at the y pipe or something and run a single turbo setup? Or maybe even run a tandem setup... Think about this, the more exhaust pressure you have (from all 6 cyl's) the easier it will be for the turbo to spool up and will make more power, the less power you have the longer it will take the turbo to spool up and you will make less power. Why do you want 1 turbo on a single bank so bad?

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
mine and gmk is not a single nbank....off of the y-pipe. the stock y-pipe has more bends and less piping than the new headers and y-pipe u get from azdc

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I already conceded with the reasons given that its probably easier to look at a nice rear mount set up rather then a one bank turbo. The orignial thought though would be to make up a front header, use a turbo from a common factory car (like a wrx or something else cheap) and run with 60hp or so for less then $1500. That is all, people cannot afford to spend $5000 on a turbo kit where car isn't even worth that much.

Last question though, if one pre cat on a stock car is plugged, thus changing the restriction in that one bank like Demon is saying, it should theoratically run lean and blow up right?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.