New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I dont know if I should be posting this here on NECO at all, but figure maybe somebody here might be able to help me out without me going through the riggors of being a newbie on another board.

The problem. I drive a neon.. Ok Ok, thats only part of the problem.. the real problem is with the car itself :)

Problem: Cold Start/Stalling issues. Yesturday was the first time since I bought this car (97 DOHC Neon Sport ATX) that the weather actually got cold. On my way to work, comming up to a stop sign, the car died. Put it back in park, started right up, but before I could put it in gear again, it died. Did that one more time, then finally started for good and took off.. the rest of the ride was fine, no stalling or anything. Today, start the car up in my driveway.. starts right up, but wont idle, just dies... Start it up, dies, etc... x's 10.. finally I start it up and hold the pedal down for awhile to keep the RPM's up to around 2000.. no problem... slowly let it down and the car idles normally.. go inside for 10 minutes while the car warms up and the heat gets blowing. Go out get in the car, tap the gas, car revs returns down to where it should idle but continues to fall and it dies. Start it up, dies..etc... Finally get the car driving.. Head round the block, first stop sign.. Dies... does the same thing it did the day before, starts, dies, starts dies.. Finally get pissed off enough to do a 1500 rpm neutral drop just to get the car to move again.. go around the block.. first stop sign.. car dies.. rinse, repeat.

So finally I just take it home, pull it into the garage and call my fiance for a ride to work.

Dont know if any of you have delt with chryslers/neons and have had this issue, but just wanted to ask. Even if you havent, anybody have any ideas.

Ive run injector cleaner through it already... im guessing plugs/wires would be next? But seems odd to be a cold weather problem only. IAC? Seems possible, but usually they work better as the car warms up.. by the time I parked it, the car was fully warmed up.

What do you all think?

TIA!
-Jon

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,714 Posts
I'm not down with the Chrysler thing, but there is a nagging Saturn issue with the Engine Coolant Temp Sensor going bad. The symptoms sound like the ones you describe. The ECTS in the Saturn is tapped into the head, with a 2-wire connector going to it.

You should see if the Neon uses a similar ECTS, and swap it out. Cheap part, and may fix the prob.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Just a guess here, but check your vacuum lines. Maybe you have a leak. I had a hose slip off of my intake one time and had pretty much exactly the same problems. I could start the car and keep it started if i had my foot on the gas, but it would die as soon as I let it idle. Maybe that'll fix your problem.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It will idle eventually, without my foot being on the gas.. did so for about 15 minutes this morning. Ill check around though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts