New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I've been dealing with this ever since the weather here started getting colder. When I first start my car in the morning, or start it late at night to go home (after it's been sitting for awhile, and since the weather changed), it makes this awful humming sound. It starts making the humming noise as soon as I start the car, and as it warms-up it goes away, or if I give the car gas at idle or I just pull out and drive, it slowly stops making the noise. It seems to be coming from under and in front of the drivers seat. Like I said, it didn't start making it until the car had to sit in the cold, but I don't know if the two are related. At first I thought it was a power steering issue, I've heard that noise before and it's similar to when you're out of ps-fluid, but that's fine. No other problems at all, just this high-pitched humming noise.

Anyone have any suggestions?

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,714 Posts
I can't believe someone with over 1000 posts even dared to ASK this question...

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
it the IACV (idle air ocntroler value)

im going throught the same thing right now

the part cost me 70 at my local dealer and i havent installed it yet but it loks like it going to be hard because of the location of the part

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Chill...just wanted to make sure before I went and ordered the part and ripped everything apart again...

Thanks for the replies. I can wait awhile before doing it, it's more an annoyance than anything right now.

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,714 Posts
I drove around with it honking at me for almost a year.

It's the little things... :)

·
Premium Member
5,052 Posts
BTW this is the ever famous MOOSING that is a fun little part of owning a Duratec equiped car... :)

·
Registered
729 Posts
Im sure Ill prolly get attacked for asking this but my coug has been doing this for AWHILE now. I was just wondering how bad of a problem it is? I mean what will happen eventually if its not changed? Mine has been going at it for I guess a year now.

G

·
Originally posted by: phatcougar
Im sure Ill prolly get attacked for asking this but my coug has been doing this for AWHILE now. I was just wondering how bad of a problem it is? I mean what will happen eventually if its not changed? Mine has been going at it for I guess a year now.
mine has been off and on in extreme colds... but in the spring/summer time its perfectly fine... i have had my car for a little over a year

hope that helps christina

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
yea i have this prob and im just getting fixed

it also embarrensing when everyone at school is like damn that car hot and then you start it and it sounds like foghorn
so you might as well get it fixed

looks like it 70 for the part and 140 for install
gotta do what you gotta do

·
Registered
729 Posts
Thanks guys... Mainly I was just wondering if I dont get this fixed (since im tryin to sell the car anyway) if not getting it fixed will cause any damage to anything really in the long run? Im just not too hot in th idea or spenidng a whole lot of $ on the car right now since I want to sell it

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I didn't think this thread would last this long...lol...

Obviously I've been here for awhile and knew about moosing, but I really didn't ever connect it with cold weather. Anyway, I fixed the problem with the throttle hang fix...it's amazing what that little copper cap can do. It hasn't made the noise once since I did it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
ok dont bite my head off for asking cuz i can sense that this is a touchy subject but where exaclty is this part located and what does it look like? my car is making the same noise and i was thinking that it was related to my injen intake now i know diff. i just wanna take a look at it to see how hard it would be to intall myself.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Originally posted by: KickerCouga21
ok dont bite my head off for asking cuz i can sense that this is a touchy subject but where exaclty is this part located and what does it look like? my car is making the same noise and i was thinking that it was related to my injen intake now i know diff. i just wanna take a look at it to see how hard it would be to intall myself.

If you do a search of moosing or the iacv it should be pretty easy to find. If I remember correctly it is to the right lower area of where the intake goes into the top of the engine....small valve.

I know that spinnburn fixed his by rerouting a house of some kind in the engine bay...not sure which hose or where they routed it...pm him.

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,714 Posts
It's bolted onto the back of the intake manifold, on the corner nearest the driver, just behind the EGR valve.. It has one electrical plug running to it, is shaped like a metal cylinder about 3 inches long, and is held on by 2 bolts. Easy to replace.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts