New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I recently had a problem with my speakers in the car. I was driving then all of a sudden all the speakers cut out but the deck still is on and working. It is an aftermarket deck and I checked the wiring it is fine. My sub was still working just cabin speakers werent. There is no amp for the speakers they are connected to the deck still. I bought a new deck and its still the same. So this leads me to believe maybe it grounded out somewhere and blew a fuse in the car. Can anyone tell me where the speaker fuse would even be? Or give me your input please, driving with no music isnt fun in Vegas lol!!

·
So its begun.....
16,840 Posts
Check the wiring harness and make sure ists completely connected.

·
Registered
437 Posts
there is no fuse for the speakers. and all the speakers going out at the same time on 2 dif headunits sounds a little weird to me. I dont know if the cougar has a stock amp in it but if it does that would be your problem. thats the only thing i can think of. can anyone answer if cougars have a factory amp in them?

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The harness is all the way in just checked that. It sounded wierd to me also, this is a brand new deck I just put in and it still dont work. Hmm I wish it was just a fuse it would make life so much easier.

·
Premium Member
21,035 Posts
No factory amp.

It's most likely a bad connection at the deck. The subs are working because they run off a line out connection. Double check the connections. Or test each speaker by disconnecting the speaker wire from the deck and attach the wires to a 9V battery. If you hear static they're working, if not there is something else wrong.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
It's not a fuse and there is no factory amp in the car so that is not it. It could be that the speaker wire + and - are touching somewhere in the car causeing a short make all the speaker not work. I have seen this before in a customers car. Every time you opened a door you would get sound but when the door closed then the deck would stay on but there would be no sound.

I would disconect the speakers from the deck one by one and see if that correct the problem. Basically do this.
clip the + wire for each speak then connect one of them back if it works then leave it connected. If not then disconect and try another one. If you still get nothing then You could take an extra speaker and that you know works and hook it up to the deck and see if you get some sound from it that way. Try these and then report back.

Also do you listen to your music with alot of bass and or loud?
chances of blowing all the speakers and once is slim but possible.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
No factory amp.

It's most likely a bad connection at the deck. The subs are working because they run off a line out connection. Double check the connections. Or test each speaker by disconnecting the speaker wire from the deck and attach the wires to a 9V battery. If you hear static they're working, if not there is something else wrong.
you beat me to it. Ohhh and be really careful with testing speakers with a battery because its not so uncommon to blow an air bag this way.....Call me crazy but it can happen.

·
Registered
437 Posts
yeah its most likely a connection problem right at the head unit. i cant really see all the speakers turning off at once because of another reason.

do the speakers come back on....or are they out for good?

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Im going to go test them one by one to see. I know I couldnt have blown them all at once because I dont listen to my music that loud and thats a 1 in a million chance that happening haha.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
my bet it that it is a short in one of the speakers themselves or in a door jam.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I clipped all the wires and connected one didnt work. Disconnected and tried another didnt work. They all didnt work. I also hooked up a different speaker to the wire and it still didnt work.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yep found it out it was the front passenger speaker. It was shorting in the boot to the door. I got it all fixed and also on the deck there was a button I had to turn off to get it to play sound. With both of those fixed I really like the new deck alpine 9835 sounds way better then my old pioneer. Now I just need to get my orion amps connected again and its all good! Thanks for all your help guys!!!

·
Premium Member
21,035 Posts
you beat me to it. Ohhh and be really careful with testing speakers with a battery because its not so uncommon to blow an air bag this way.....Call me crazy but it can happen.
Yeah I just brush the wire across the battery, I never hold it on there and listen to that beautiful static sound. :rofl:

Glad to hear you got it fixed!

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Actually the stock speakers sound pretty nice on this alpine deck haha. Its kinda cool how you can set the distance apart from you and the speaker to get a delay on the deck. Now I just need to get my polk components in the doors and hook it to my orion amp and its all done haha. Hopefully Im building an enclosure for the amps this weekend, kinda like a false floor idea. I just want it finally done!

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Yep found it out it was the front passenger speaker. It was shorting in the boot to the door. I got it all fixed and also on the deck there was a button I had to turn off to get it to play sound. With both of those fixed I really like the new deck alpine 9835 sounds way better then my old pioneer. Now I just need to get my orion amps connected again and its all good! Thanks for all your help guys!!!
glad to see you found the problem.

Just for future refrence for anyone who searches this thread.
Most of the time the door jam is where the connections will go bad. that is the only place where the speaker wire will really see any movement.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts