New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No Powercoating

Okay, I need to re-powdercoat my front strut OMP tower bar, but no one locally does powdercoating. I found a guy that does powdercoat stripping, so getting the old stuff off is no problem.

I was speaking to a lot of bodyshops and some of them say I should paint the bar with "acrylic" paint. Would this be strong enough?

Thanks,
Darrell.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
RE:No Powercoating

Maybe if you search for someone who does PowDer Coating. If you plan on getting it painted and not doing it yourself, a body shop can paint it with automotive paint, and clear coat it, and it will be fine.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts

I painted mine with regular auto paint that I used to paint my dash. It worked fine.

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I know I can get it painted and it will look fine, but I want something that's a durable as Powder Coating. (TropicCougar: that was a typo, I meant to type "powDer" not "power" opps! :))

So, the suggestions I'm getting here is clear coat over automotive paint, and just use paint from a spray can?

·
Registered
404 Posts
eastwood online has a "DIY" powdercoating kit....

all depends on yer oven though. me thinks the bar wouldnt fit in a standard oven...

im thinkin yer gonna just have to paint bro...

lAdZ

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
My OMP FSB, and my ST200 RSTB are painted HoK Strato Blue with Blue Ice Pearls, and then cleared 6 times, and it looks amazing! Unfortunately, I had something in my trunk bump the RSTB and it chipped, so I am going to strip them and powdercoat to match the engine. But painting definately works fine, and without a problem (besides chipping, which powdercoat won't do).

E1

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, that's basically what I wanted to know... would the "acrylic" paint chip or not. I guess my answer is "yes, it would".

You see, my big fear about painting the OMP FSB is the spot where the A/C line rubs against the bar... this would certainly wear away the paint in that area.. and possibly start process of the paint chipping away all over the bar.

Maybe I'll just leave the bar alone with the no-so-perfect powdercoat job it has now.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Hm, I have the OMP FSB and I don't have anything rubbing on it... My FSB is perfect, just dirty. =) Its the rear that has a chip...

E1

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
EternalOne... do you have air conditioning? If so, just pull back on the A/C line that touches the OMP bar... you'll see what I'm talking about. You might have to remove the bar itself to actually see where it rubs. I didn't think my bar had any rubbing also until I removed it.

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
why not strip the paint, and polish it to a high shine.. there won't be any paint to chip!

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
atlas is right. The line will scratch the paint on the bar, but you won't see the damage unless you move the line out of the way. My problem was the brake booster tube. I had looms around it, and it rubbed up against the bar really hard somehow, and the paint is all messed up in that one area.

Mike

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
EternalOne... do you have air conditioning?
Yup, got it all. And I don't have a single thing touching my strut bar. (I double checked.) There is no place that anything is rubbing. Then again, I was away in TX when they installed this, so I might have to ask if they moved anything around, but I doubt it. But nothings touching mine, nor rubbing my paint away. =)

E1

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
EternalOne... this is where the A/C line rubs the OMP FSB on my car... does yours differ? If it can be installed without it touching this line, I'd like to know how...

·
Registered
324 Posts
acrylic paint is actually better than most other paints, it resists heat better and is easier to apply, any way as long as it is cleared should have no problem

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thank you very much, 99Elimin8r.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts