New Cougar Forum banner

No honk when doors lock?

5K views 50 replies 28 participants last post by  UserDrew 
#1 ·
Does anybody else fidning it annoying that our cars make no noise after pressing the lock button twice. My old car always did it, and now I'm always worried i didnt press the lock button.

Does anybody know how I could add a little noise after pressing the lock button twice, and maybe a little light that goes on?

#3 ·
for some reason, I recall that it's a safety feature (particularly if you're a wuss) - you don't bring attention to yourself in dark parking lots..

I also recall that there is some way to make it beep. Some setting under the hood near a headlight. Check your manual?

#8 ·
I thought it was wrong to but my car doesn't do it (99) Both 99 and 00 books says NOTHING about it honking when pressed twice. SO im not really worried....

#12 ·
My 99 honks..I thought it was an indicator to let you know you've already locked it..maybe there is a fuse blown for that second horn...

#13 ·
mine used to honk after the second button push and the lights would flash on the first push. but now it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.

#14 ·
hmmm lets see in how many areas we can start almost the same thread

see

I do however recalling something about not all the cougars had an antitheft system, some just had power locks etc... that being said, if you locked the doors, the lights wouldnt flash, the lights flashing means the antitheft is active, and they also wont flash if the hood, truck or either door is open when you hit the lock button....

but, i could be wrong, check the manual... ( i dont have one so im going off memory here )

Dan

#15 ·
I have keyless entry and anti-theft and no honk. You can get a manual off the Mercury web site like i have said now 1000 times....

#17 ·
Originally posted by: ice992
hmmm lets see in how many areas we can start almost the same thread

see

I do however recalling something about not all the cougars had an antitheft system, some just had power locks etc... that being said, if you locked the doors, the lights wouldnt flash, the lights flashing means the antitheft is active, and they also wont flash if the hood, truck or either door is open when you hit the lock button....

but, i could be wrong, check the manual... ( i dont have one so im going off memory here )

Dan
nope.

the manual specifically states:

the pats system automatically arms 5 seconds after the ignition is turned off, indicated by the blinking red light on the dash.

the lights flashing is tells you that all doors are locked. they will not flash if either door or the trunk is not closed properly.

#19 ·
I have a 99 MTX. When I push lock, as long as everything is closed, the lights flash. Once, twice, a million times, doesn't matter, no honking, just the light flash.

Now one time I had my hood open and there was a little black button somewhere (I assumed it was a switch that was pressed to tell the car that the hood was closed) anyways, my friend pushed it a few times and then whenever I hit any button on the remote, the horn would honk. NOTE the remote didn't function properly, if I pushed lock the horn would honk, but it would NOT lock the doors.

Anyways, after random pushing of this button once, twice, 3 times, I finally got my car back to normal. So I assume you can in some way use this button to make the honking feature work, but I sure didn't find out how that time, and I'm a little worried to fool around with it again.

#20 ·
Im pretty sure the push pin under the hood can be used to "test" the system. Push it down a couple times....

#23 ·
i was playing with that black button on the top of my radiator support. I noticed the hood didnt push it down once it was closed all the way, so i went to the autopart store and bought those rubber vacuum caps for 1 dollar, and cut to size and put it on the button. Now my alarm flashes and honks!

#24 ·
KnappstamaN said:
i was playing with that black button on the top of my radiator support. I noticed the hood didnt push it down once it was closed all the way, so i went to the autopart store and bought those rubber vacuum caps for 1 dollar, and cut to size and put it on the button. Now my alarm flashes and honks!
That's a pretty useful find - it might be safe to say that all of our alarms should be flashing and honking, and if it isn't there's a problem somewhere...

#26 ·
I would have to say that on of the switchs are not being pushed or are bad. Like the one under the hood maybe?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.