New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nitrous: Upkeep questions

Im running a 55 shot for right, thats all I really want. I just have a couple questions.

What are some of the signs that my sparks are going bad?
What are some things I need to keep an eye on when on the spray and off?

What sparks are reccommended , where can I get them, and how much for the whole set?

Edit:

I also wannna know, when can I start to notice my bottle becoming empty? I currently dont have a N20 Press gauge yet....
thanks!

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Originally posted by: wren
I'm pretty sure you're supposed to use plugs that are 2 degrees colder than stock, I think zex sells some...
yup and they are a lil over 5 bux each

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Zex doesn't carry the correct plugs for our car. I tried to order them from ZEX, and they recommended NGK. To answer you questions:

Signs of plugs going bad:

They will look corroded... See "Corroded Top."
The gap will be larger than it should... See "Big Gap."
The tip will be worn to a point. See "Tip."

What to keep and eye on when on and off the spray:

I just listen to my car for any differences. If you hear detonation - let off the N20 right away! Other than that, you can watch your air/fuel guage, but mine always reads rich when I am spraying. Listen to the tranny when you switch gears to make sure that everything is going smoothly, and be extra careful when you are spraying at high RPMs. As for what to watch for off the spray... Since it is only effecting the car when you are using it, there isn't much to watch out for except leaks! The line that you should be concerned with is the one that connects to the bottle because you will be constantly unhooking it to fill the bottle up. You will definitely notice if you have a leak in the line... You will hear a loud hissing noise and it will be snowing inside your car!

What type of plugs:

See "NGK Box" and "NGK Box 2." These are the plugs that I am using right now. They are two steps colder than stock.

How do you know if the bottle is empty:

Even if you had a pressure guage, you don't necessarily know how much N20 you have left. the pressure guage measures bottle pressure, not nitrous level. If you have only half left, but have a bottle heater, the pressure guage will still read high. I just kinda play it by ear... You will start to notice that the nitrous doesn't kick in as good when you are at like 1/2 bottle. When you get down really low (1-2 pounds) you will be able to hit the nitrous and really not even know you are using it. Otherwise, if you want to know exactly how much you have you can weigh the bottle. It is 14 pounds empty, and holds 10 pounds of nitrous. So, 24 pounds is full, and 14 pounds is empty.

Hope I helped!

Attachments

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for those tips! That really helped me. This may be an extremely stupid question, but how hard is it to remove the plugs?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sweet! thanks man, im gonna try it this weekend. Could i pick up those plugs at like an AutoZone and install them myself?

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
DGN...I told you I had those plugs for you if you wanted them...

I;m in Las Vegas right now on a computer in the apple store, but we can talk when I get home tomorrow night and I'll hook you up.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
I'm workin on buying the NX kit from Ness. The bottle is empty. I can go to my local shop for a bottle refil but does it matter what brand N2O I buy? Can i fill my NX bottle with NOS?

Also, is it bad to use stock plugs/gap for running an occasional 50shot? Would it hurt N/A drivability to run the colder plugs?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
N20 is N20... It doesn't matter what kind of bottle it is in. I don't even think there are brand names for it. For the plugs... You may have some detonation with your stock plugs. The 2 steps colder plugs will give you worse gas mileage, but it isn't a huge difference. If you are that worried about it, go with 1 step colder plugs just to be a little safer than the stock ones. Or if you only use the nitrous on the track, you can change your plugs when you go. For me, I just use the 2 steps colder plugs all the time.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Thanks for the tip. good knowledge for the future, seeing as how my NX plans had to change :(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.