New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
PLATINUM M0DERAT0R
4,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
RC Cougar

So, I just bought this RC Nitro car you can view pic/ videos/ specs here. Anyways, to stay on the cougar subject, I have the HPI Cougar body to go on this nitro car and I don't know if I want to paint the thing to match my cougar (white) or paint it blue (the color I want my cougar to be).

I can't believe I'm finally finishing this, it has been a long time since I started. This will be fricken fast though... the top speed is 60+ and all the components are state of the art.

Laterz!

Here's the pictures... my 33% Nitro Fuel should be in next week so I can break in the engine :biggrin:

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
RE:Nitro Cougar

well, i would paint it white, untill you actually get your car painted blue. then have the Nitro car re-painted at the same time.

·
PLATINUM M0DERAT0R
4,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Originally posted by: JAMallott
well, i would paint it white, untill you actually get your car painted blue. then have the Nitro car re-painted at the same time.
Sounds easy, but the paint is on the inside of the plastic and the decals (ex: headlights, grills, badges) are on the outside. So unless I can remove the decals with out destroying them...

I think I'll just paint it blue and make a "Future" model of my cougar :biggrin:

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
RE: Nitro Cougar

I have an electric RC car and I currently have 2 bodies for it, a Subaru WRX painted to look just like my friend's WRX, and the Bobby Labonte NASCAR body it came with when my dad gave it to me. I'm also gonna get a Cougar body and paint it just like my Cougar. I'm going to use the NASCAR body for the races, but use the Cougar body when I go to shows.

predator, I'd see about getting 2 Cougar bodies. IIRC they are only like $25 each or something. Paint one like your current car, then the other like what its gonna look like.

Oh, anyone know if you can use the spray cans that match the color of your car? Is there a difference between RC car paint and automotive paint? I was gonna get a can mixed at Sherwin Williams, like when I painted my headlights on my old Cougar, and use that for the body of the RC car.

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts

damn!

good luck controlling that beast! :rofl: - how do the two speeds work? one for top end and then one for actual reasonable speed driving?

very cool stuff... i bet it cost many pretty pennies! :biggrin:

maybe NEXT year at cougarfest, more people than Skater and I will remember to bring RC's ;)

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts

Originally posted by: azbobbybooshay10
I have an electric RC car and I currently have 2 bodies for it, a Subaru WRX painted to look just like my friend's WRX, and the Bobby Labonte NASCAR body it came with when my dad gave it to me. I'm also gonna get a Cougar body and paint it just like my Cougar. I'm going to use the NASCAR body for the races, but use the Cougar body when I go to shows.

predator, I'd see about getting 2 Cougar bodies. IIRC they are only like $25 each or something. Paint one like your current car, then the other like what its gonna look like.

Oh, anyone know if you can use the spray cans that match the color of your car? Is there a difference between RC car paint and automotive paint? I was gonna get a can mixed at Sherwin Williams, like when I painted my headlights on my old Cougar, and use that for the body of the RC car.
auto paint would be bad... it would probably melt the body. Just chekc what your local hobbyshop has (or websites) - usually you can get a pretty close match to any real-life color

·
Registered
1,637 Posts

nitro 4-tec's are pretty damn quick, i used to have one with a few mods... but that was before the 2.5 engine.. also had an e-maxx,t-maxx, stampede, nitro 4-tec, blackfoot, and a few others... I've been lookin into gettin a revo or the new 2.5 tmaxx's

·
So its begun.....
16,842 Posts

I've had a 4 tec before as well..They're hella fast..to reach that 60+ you'll need a good stretch of pavement though ;)
You'll need to use a paint with a flex agent in it or it will crack. Remember..the bodies are made of lexan..so you don't want to use something too harsh on it...
Also for future reference..Remember to take the plastic wrapping off of the body before applying your decals ;) If you purchase the body in a bag(hpi bodies) it DOES have the wrapping on it..its there as a precaution for overspray. :)

Oh yeah..Enjoy..:thumbsup:

·
PLATINUM M0DERAT0R
4,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by: ND4SPD
maybe next year at cougarfest, we will have the BIG cougar photoshoot, and then a 1:10th scale cougar photoshoot :biggrin:
Ooo... how about the 1:18, 1:43, and Hot Wheel versions too :biggrin:

Thanks for the comments guys, but the real fun will start after the engine is broken in...

·
So its begun.....
16,842 Posts
Break it in on 20% don't use 30% yet
After its been broken then go to 30 if you want..but if you want your engine to last I'd start with 20. 30% is good for racing plus your engine is going to run a bit hotter. SO make sure you take the right precautions...

·
PLATINUM M0DERAT0R
4,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The manual says to break the engine in with the fuel you'll be using all the time... the 33% that Traxxas makes has all the same lubrication effects as the 10-20% fuels.

Thanks for the precautions but I've done a ton of reading on this stuff and I actually read the whole owners manual before putting the body on the RC chassis

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.