New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i'm really sorry. theses questions are gonna sound dumb but what are the advantages and disadvantages to band pass boxes, sealed boxes, ported boxes, and if i listen to a variety of music whats the best way to go? also some people face the sum into the box? what are the advantages and disadvantages to pointing them in and out? once again guys sorry but i have very very little experience with audio! Thanks for your guys time and knowledge!

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
In the simplest of ways to analyze it without too much detail, a sealed box gives you a tighter and stronger hit bass but the reverb bass is looser and the ported / bandpass boxes are the opposite.

There are a few VERY well built / matched / tuned ported boxes that can master both but you get what you pay for. The general rule of thumb matches my first statement.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
the ported and bandpass boxes put out more spl but handle less power and a sealed box is cleaner sounding and can take way more power, with a slight sacrifice of spl..

inverting your sub (ie magnet out) allows for a smaller box since the displacement of the magnet doesnt have to be counted for in the volume equation..

sealed (set up right) will give you bass you feel rather then hear..and the oppostie is true for ported and bandpass..

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for th tips but i have some more dumb questions. 1. what is SPL? and 2 if i were listening to a variety of music i would want a sealed box probobly and for more volume or quality of sound i would think i should have the magnets in. correct?

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Originally posted by: Archangel7772001
thanks for th tips but i have some more dumb questions. 1. what is SPL? and 2 if i were listening to a variety of music i would want a sealed box probobly and for more volume or quality of sound i would think i should have the magnets in. correct?
SPL = sound pressure level...its all about the decibels.

Myself, I have a sealed box, with my subs inverted. I couldn't be happier with the sound quality, and the boom!

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
I prefer a good sealed box in most situations, as well. They are much easier to build, and provide solid bass response. Now, if you're excellent at math, and have the proper speaker specs, then a finely tuned ported box can meet the anyones needs, but we charge $350-$400 for a tuned box such as this, because of the time and exact calculations involved to get proper port height, height, and length.

The best thing to do would be to visit a reputable shop in your area, and let them know what you like. Then show them the car, and ask them to help you design a system within your budget. Any good shop will work with you on this, but you need to make sure they don't rip you off, as well. You can spend upwards of $10k easy if you're not careful. LOL

E1

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Originally posted by: EternalOne

You can spend upwards of $10k easy if you're not careful. LOL

:rofl::rofl: that was cute...but the same hold true in most cases...YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!! hehehe

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Heh, yeah. I've actually spent more than that on a single system before, so I know its easy to do. =) But I do agree, you get what you pay for, and with in-car audio if you cheap out on one part, you can affect your entire system performance. If you plan on going big, we have a well-designed system design sheet we follow to make sure all bases are covered.

E1

1 - 10 of 10 Posts