New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, I need y'alls help. I just started working at a local stereo shop, but am still pretty much a novice at the car audio thing. I want to upgrade my system, but not to anything that's ready to be entered into an IASCA competition... just something that sounds impressive INSIDE the car. I'm wanting to leave the stock speakers, as I'm rather impressed with them thusfar. Should I go ahead and change out headunits? I also want to add a sub/amp setup in the trunk. My wants:

-Need to retain the majority of my trunkspace for school related stuff
-Want a very SHARP sound, but not boomy or the type that's going to rattle the windows in a car 3 lanes over. Just something with authority. I don't listen to booty bass rap... I'm more of an alternative/techno guy, if that helps.
-Need to keep the price fairly reasonable (probably no more than $350... but read on.)
-Want to retain use of the factory changer.

Since I work at the shop, I get hella discounts. But I'm limited on what on, so here's what we have:

-Sony Explod (w/ES)
-JBL
-Kenwood
-JVC
-MTX (no HUs; access to subs)
-(very lil) Alpine
-Infinity (access to subs)

Unfortunately, no access to deals on Pioneer, JL, Kicker, or RF, which seem to be some of the more popular ones here. MANY THANKS for any suggestions you guys can offer!

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
i think you mentioned you could get that sub and amp deal for 250$... you'll also need to get some wiring with that and that could run you another 30$ or so... anyhow after that i would definetly replace the deck... although you may like it you'll be amazed what a decent aftermarket deck can provide you with, even on your factory speakers...

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
True... just didn't know what people thought of JBL. It seems like everyone has the Pioneer head unit and MTX or Rockford Fosgate subs, which just sorta worries me that I'm getting the wrong stuff. I'm curious to know everyone's opinion of the stuff we carry.

·
Registered
517 Posts
hey edgecat,
i used to work at a circiut city and was very familiar with all the brands you mentioned. although you didnt mention a budget for the install, ill assume youve got that covered. the stock head isnt all that bad if you have a cd changer so for your budget keep that. instead you should replace at least the front door speakers because the speaker is what makes the music sound better. go with a 6 1/2 coax as you wont have enough power to run a set of components right with just the stock head. as for subs and amps call mtx 1800callmtx. tell them exactly what kind of bass you are looking for and im sure theyll help out- they have a top notch tech support and are usually more than happy to spend some time talking to you. through accomodations- which im sure youve seen you should have a better sounding system with a little kick for your 350 budget. hope this helps.
josh

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm... I got talking with one of my coworkers (the guy who does most of our installs) and he seemed to think the factory head unit isn't a bad one to stick with, especially since I want to keep my changer. Evidently I'll need a whole mess of hardware to make my changer compatible with some of the head units I'm looking at. Is this true? Again, I don't know what I'm doing, so I need y'alls opinions.

If this IS true, I probably would have more to spend on subs, so I may see if I can track down some MTX's, or some Infinity Perfects. I'm still keeping the JBL GTs in mind, however, since I can get them dirt cheap.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.