New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, its time to buy and exhaust for my car. I want single-exit. i was thinkin of weapon-r, but i dont know anything about it. i really dont want to spend over 400 dollars.
also, when u get an exhaust system, what happens to the catalyitc converters? i'm real dumb wiht this stuff.
and what would be the idff if i just bought a weapon or muffler? isnt the stock piping 2.5 inches?

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
k, our cars DO NOT have 2.5" piping, not even close. plus we have a muffler up front and another box good for quieting it down even more, so its really cut off. and im not exactly sure why you only want single exit... if you have a specific purpose, then stop reading my post now, but if not, continue onwards...
i have the aluminized dual flowmaster exhaust setup and absolutely love it. its $345/shipped at customcougars.com which is cheaper than the single for some reason. and the catalytic converter is in front of where you bolt on these kits. hence the term "cat-back" kits. and if you want any performance addition at all, get the kit instead of just replacing the muffler. i noticed a decent difference once i got mine installed. and now my car sounds real deep and gets a lot of compliments and makes rice-cans cry!!!

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
If you get that single-exit Weapon R it's actually louder than the flowmaster dual IMO. When i went to CougarFest 2k2 i was waiting for the caravan at a rest stop and i HEARD that exhaust before i actually SAW anybody in the caravan. :thumbsup:

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well, im not exatcly sure i want it really loud, cuz i have a system and id rather have people hear that. im not ruling out duals, just not sure what will look better. im not planning on getting a kit at all, so whatever sits right under the rear wiht the best look is fine with me. i want a good sound, a little deep, but i dont want people to thaink a freakin little honda is comin down the orad, or a big dodge truck, whats somethin in the middle???????

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
The original Borla systems were (and still are, IMO) the best overall systems. Their sound is mellow, almost inperceptible at idle, and only sound off when you're more than 50% on the throttle. No system I've found since has those characteristics. Trouble is they were only 2", and I don't know that they're available anymore.

·
Buyer Beware
6,575 Posts
Duals > deep and rumbly v8 sound
Single > loud refined import sound

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have a Flowmaster 40 series Deltaflow muffler in place of the resonator, running duals out to Magnaflow 3.5 tips. Not only does it look and sound better, its relatively inexpensive. Deep, menacing, manly, and loud where it needs to be, quiet where it should be. Thing is, none of this rig is a bolt on piece, and requires custom welding, but most any local muffler/exhaust shop will do it for peanuts.

Originally posted by: CougarBoi99
well, im not exatcly sure i want it really loud, cuz i have a system and id rather have people hear that.
Wow, your exhaust would be louder than your system? :p I pack a system as well, and if you have it up even remotely, you won't hear your exhaust, and if you do--its vague, people outside the cabin will hear the system, and also hear the car, but its not going to be obnoxious like the coffee-can rice pipes. As far as the cats go, you don't need to replace them at all. They're fine, unless you want high flow-cats, which isn't a bad idea.
As mentioned before, do you want the smooth tuner sound that comes with a single pipe? Or the manly rumbly "v8" sound that comes with duals...when it boils down, its all a matter of personal preference.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
would a single exit wiht 2.5 in piping sound ricy? im thinkin about buying from customcougars.
what about buying the muffler from weapon-r then gettin the piping made at a shop?

·
Registered
95 Posts
You can always enlarge the pipe with one of those pnumatic machines they use to bend pipes, and put a bigger tip on it. Check your muffler shop for better deals.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
the muffler has a lot to do with the sound too. If you want a nice rumbly sound get a borla or flowmaster. If you want a ricey sound, i'm sure you can pick up one of those mufflers at pepboys really cheap :biggrin:

Mike

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
im probably gonna go with weapon-r, but now i have to wait cuz the money i was gonna use went to the body shop for some dent removals on my car :(:( oh well, im still going to get an intake, but im still wanting anyones suggestions, also some pics of exhaust on our cars would be cool. thanks.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I have dual exhaust set-up with two of the pictured mufflers. I also have the front muffler(after the cat) removed. Still have the stock piping tho. But it sounds really good and deep. Not like the rice burner hondas. (hondas are like *******s, everybody has one) except for the PROUD cougar owners. My total cost for my system was $130. That included removing the 2 stock mufflers, inserting new pipe, creating a rear-splitter for duals, new pipe after the splitter and hangin the mufflers. And it looks really good too. I'll try to get some pics later this weekend.

·
Registered
189 Posts
One of my friends has a 01 v6 cougar with a single ractive exhaust...(Used to be dual but the owner b4 him took one off). It does not sound ricey at all and I find that ractive has a decent low sound on the cougar (Is potentially my choice when I get it done). For instance (Now I know it wont be the same on our cars but you get an idea), I have two friends with both z24s: a 97 and 00. The 97 has a borla and sounds good at all rev levels except flooring it. When he floors it it sounds really wierd. Not like tinny but more a raspy hollow sound, but then again you dont hear the exhaust much inside the car. My friend with the 00 has a ractive and it sounds good all the way through. Its no v8 sound but definitly no soup tin can lawn more sound. Its a really good sound (I think) but it is louder. Now thats not to say it will be exact on the cougar but maybe similar.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the more im reading these forwards the more i am learning! where could i see some pics and prices of the ractive exhaust, and how does it compare to say weapon r if the piping for both is identical?

·
Registered
378 Posts
I did notice a good gain in torque with some overall horsepower. I also have the AEM short ram intake so that helps out. I doubt i'll be able to get a sound clip, sorry.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts

Hows that finish holding up

·
Registered
378 Posts
Actually pretty good. It needs cleaned really good and polished. But other than that, they still look good. I think that these mufflers really give the v6 a mean deep sound. But that's just me.

·
Registered
123 Posts
i am planning on getting my exhaust custom made and haveing a ractive muffler used also. but what size pipe should i get to go with the ractive muffler?? should i go 2.25 or 2.5 inch???????i found a site with only a few ractive mufflers and i can't find anymore. DOES ANYBODY KNOW WHERE I CAN LOOK AT SOME MORE RACTIVE MUFFLERS??????another question, what does straight pipe sound like and what kind of hp. gain would you get with it. i am also getting the AEM short ram air intake shortly to go with the exhaust. sorry for all the questions..

THANKS

1 - 20 of 20 Posts