New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got a visit from a brown truck last friday right before the avila meet, and the woman told me that she was delivering my box of gold bricks... :lol: In other words, my WilWood big brake kit for the fronts. So immediately open the box and see this...

you know that means nothing be fun... and by the looks of this, I think it'll work.

and the rotor

ok, so after some waiting, get to my friend's shop and start the install.

oh noes, it rivals the size of his head.

testing the clearences, 2.75mm or so between the spokes and the caliper.
:shock:
Actually on the ground, I was really nervous at this point

after bedding the pads, all I can say is that these things bite so hard, I am so happy and I think I'm ready for the track day, Thanks to Todd at TCE for supplying an awesome kit.
8)

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
those are HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!! i want some! the look SO HOT!

and your cougar looks AMAZING. its so simple, yet so clean. it looks like it could be stock, but its far from it. i absolutly love it :)

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
they feel like stock bakes when they're cold, its amazing, but once they heat up a bit they just start biting harder and harder, I was really amazed. Thanks fo rthe compliments guys.

·
Banned
1,329 Posts
those look hot

dont they cost more then the baer kit

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
yes, more than the Baer Brake kit and I don't think they make a rear kit... regardless looks great.. I debated long and hard between a Wilwood kit and a Baer kit and ended up getting the Baer kit which I'm very happy with..

better get yourself some new stock rims or don't you need it with that kit? I had to find some cheap 17's or I was screwed.. LOL

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Looks good man!

I'm with Chris here, make sure you have a spare set of wheels that will clear the brakes. Also, if you're worried about the clearance issues, just buy yerself a small spacer. I picked up a 15mm and 30mm set of spacers, ran with the 15mm for awhile and they cleared the brakes nicely, and they also bring the rims out to the fenders more.

E1

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
good lord... i'd almost say those brakes are TOO big for 18" wheels... lol.
Excellent brakes though... A little more expensive, but more light weight than the baers :thumbsup:

So now I have a question though... I had to nail the brakes pretty hard the other day, to the point where the tires skidded a bit... meaning the brakes can bite harder than the tires can grip right?
well, now with these big-brakes... wouldn't they be SO good that you would never be able to use them to their full potential?

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Get stickier tires, Matt. :p

I have the Baer kit, and with the Toyo's even slamming the brakes I didn't slide much, with the Nittos I slide a bit more, but I have better cornering ability. ;) It's always a tradeoff someplace.

E1

·
Premium Member
16,842 Posts
Nice Ricardo..I'll have the blocks ready by this afternoon :evil:

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've pretty much planned on rotating an 18 if I lose a corner and I have a set of stockers laying around for a decent sized spare, helps having two cougs in the family. I'm not that worried about the spacing, but am looking for more of a 17 for weight reasons. I don't have anything to rave about under the hood, I just normally run this car so heavy that I wanted something that I could more than make up for it with, and with the kit, it really filles out the wheels well. I'm happy with the weight the car lost, especially having a two piece rotor.

·
Premium Member
5,515 Posts
They do make a rear kit, but it's just an upsize kit keeping the factory caliper.

If you look kthrough their site they offer the 12.2 inch kit vice the 13". It should fit the facgtory wheels with a spacer and longer wheel studs for caliper cleaance.

Looks great phantomzero. You'll have to get used to the brake dust though, just an fyi.

I know my TCE Wilwood kit has alreay saved me a few times. :)

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
Originally posted by: Rikenbomb
Originally posted by: Crispy
Brake Dust? what the hell is that? LOL
You have to drive your car to find out what it is. ;) :tongue:
ooooOOOoooOOOOooOoOOOO! :tongue: :cover: :biggrin:

and ya! - after all the road trips, i'm looking at new tires for next year... and new breakes.... and new struts... :)

The tires i have on now are great... REALLY durable! but the ride is kinda harsh, i dunno whether thats just because of my ST200 struts, or just because the rims/tires are bigger/thinner than stock :shrug:

I was thinking of the Eagle F1 GS-D3's but i'm open to BFG's too :)

another topic for another time though!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.