New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is a Cougar board, but as a former Cougar owner I figured I'd share with you some new track times in my 2000 Mustang GT.

Well I was finally able to get some respectable runs in with the new Steeda N/A tune with 3.73's. I raced last night at Raceway Park in Englishtown, NJ during Street night and I made it to the Semi Finals and broke out my dial in running my best time.

Results:

Dial: 13.71
R/T: .281
60': 1.944
330: 5.634
1/8: 8.712 @ 80.33 mph
1000': 11.369
1/4: 13.619 @ 100.30 mph

In total I had 6 runs and was running consistant 13.7's all night and was improving ever so slightly. Now it looks like I'm capable of getting a 13.5 run. This was done on my current setup in my sig with street tires.

BTW Raben...there were plenty of Slow LS1's there, and I was running faster than some of them! LOL :biggrin: ;)

·
Registered
284 Posts
man those are some fast times. I sure wish i knew what 13's felt like :( hell 14's would be nice :shrug:

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Originally posted by: SpruceCougar
I know this is a Cougar board, but as a former Cougar owner I figured I'd share with you some new track times in my 2000 Mustang GT.

Well I was finally able to get some respectable runs in with the new Steeda N/A tune with 3.73's. I raced last night at Raceway Park in Englishtown, NJ during Street night and I made it to the Semi Finals and broke out my dial in running my best time.

Results:

Dial: 13.71
R/T: .281
60': 1.944
330: 5.634
1/8: 8.712 @ 80.33 mph
1000': 11.369
1/4: 13.619 @ 100.30 mph

In total I had 6 runs and was running consistant 13.7's all night and was improving ever so slightly. Now it looks like I'm capable of getting a 13.5 run. This was done on my current setup in my sig with street tires.

BTW Raben...there were plenty of Slow LS1's there, and I was running faster than some of them! LOL :biggrin: ;)

Good runs man :thumbsup: Do alittle more suspension work and slicks you'll see some lower times running NA ;)

Good job man, and good 60' too!!! My best 60' on street tires was 1.8's!! Last time I ran I pulled 13.0's but my freaking shift point from 2nd into 3rd revs out 2 times before it finally shifts. Once I get that fixed I should hit upper 12s on street tires.

I'm calling it quits on the mods for awhile though. My debts gotten too high and my wife's accident totalling our Jeep really didn't make matters any better :( So, worked out a plan where within 5 years I will be 100% debt free :) which would be nice. Averaging our salaries as they are now that would be 2 grand extra a month in the checking or savings :)

Could save up then for what I want. . . . .a blown 427 in my TA from MTI :)

Yea most LS1's are pretty slow :rolleyes: :evil:

;) hehehe.

But seriously, good driver they run pretty much 13.4 to 13.7 bone stock. The Z28s 98 to 00 usually runs 13.6/13.7, the 2001/2002 models run 13.4 (what my brother ran with his bone stock hehe)

The 97 prior LT1s were basically upper 13s to low 14s depending on driver.

But you've done well man, 13.6 out of that stang is sweet!! Keep it up man, you soon be where I'm at. ;) :evil:

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Originally posted by: Cougar00V6
man those are some fast times. I sure wish i knew what 13's felt like :( hell 14's would be nice :shrug:
**cough** mustang GT **cough** **cough** SVT Cobra **cough** 2005

:evil:

;) hehehe, save up and get a GT, the 2005 models are going to kick @ss.

Sorry to dis on the cougars but ditch it. It's a good cruiser but it just isn't designed for high performance. I keep reading on here where people are going with hugh turbo's and boom. Then try again on a new engine and boom again. hehehe, I would save the money, get a V8 stang or F-body and put that mod money to work on it. If you want autocrossing but yet hugh power both would be good. Not sure how well the stangs hold up but the F-bodies and vette brothers handle pretty decently in the twisties. And a few suspension mods and they are ready to roll.

Oh, 2005 or 2006 GM is bringing back the Camaro :biggrin: Going to be built with the LS6 engine background I believe. VERY nice.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
I agree Raben but. I personally hate having the same car as the
majority of people at the track.
I stopped watching stangs and camaro's race at the track along time ago.
Where I race. everyone has one. When the line of mustangs or Camaros
pulls up I either go get something to eat or talk to my Dad.:biggrin:

I'm not putting these cars down but hell they are so common any more
I would rather work hard on my slow vehicle to make it fast. It gives me
the feeling I've really accomplished something. And when you pull into
the staging lanes in a 2000 Cougar with a 13.8 written on your window
that would have to be a great feeling. Yes your V8's will usually be
faster than my V6 but I will take a de-tuned 16 second car and make it run 13's.
That's cool......to me

just my opinion please don't take it as an insult.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
gyger, no offense taking buddy ;)

It's all a matter of taste. Common or unique never mattered to me as I go with whatever performance tastes that gets my attention.

Tuning a small v6 or 4 banger and getting like you said 13.8, heck yea that's a good achievement even despite some of the V8s may be alot faster. Just the fact that you took a 16/17 second car to mid/high 13s is one hell of an achievement!! :) Mustangs are the most common sports car on the street though :( I like them just fine but I usually see at least 5 mustangs before I see another F-body hehe.

The only thing that swayed me away from 4 banger or V6 tuning is the cost. Eventually in the next 5 years or so I'll turn this F-body into a 10 second car. The cost for me to do this on top of the 18K price of the car used is going to be alot cheaper than it would have for me to turn a sports compact into one.

I was watching Car & Driver this weekend about the Super Flea Challenge. . . .btw that still has me rolling hehe. Good new nickname for imports, Fleas! hehe.

Anyway, I was just shocked that someone would spend frist, 25K on a compact, then on top of that another 86K to make it run 13.3 with a few show goodies. I was like my god, I could spend 1 grand on the F-body and make it run 13.3 or less (hell some already running 13.4 stock).

But some people just got way too much money to waste hehe.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I feel the same way as gyger. I mean i never got the cougy to plant you back into the seat. I got it cause i love the looks, sports coupes, and originality. Mustangs are sweet cars, but seeing 1.5 million of them a day just turns me off. Now GT's and especially Cobras are always cool to look at, just not for me to personally own (well cept for the new cobra's lol). But like you said Raben everyone has there own tastes, and that is what makes the car performance world so interesting.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the compliments guys. Yeah I think I'm calling it quits for awhile too with the mods. With winter coming up and some future financial obligations I'm going to have to watch my expenses for a little while. I'm actually quite happy where the car is now, I really have no intentions of making it a "1/4 horse" because there is more to a car than acceleration. Before I even installed the suspension kit I even took 2nd place at an autocross, being only 0.20 secs. behind a 2003 M3, so there is even great potential for this car in the twisties as well.

As far as the originallity of my car...yes there's millions of mustangs on the road, but a majority of them are V6 models. I actually see close to the same amount of Cougars as I do Mustang GT's and even fewer sightings of Cobras, but my location could also play role in that.

When I had the Cougar, I really loved the fact that it had such a distinctive look. I fell in love with that car instantly...but eventually the love faded when I realized that it really couldnt hold its own against most family sedans. On top of that the car started falling apart on me. The differential shattered, the transmission was about to go...so I sold it before I was really in trouble. I like a car that has both show and go, and at least some durability to go along with it. You can mod a 4 cyl. or V6 but the fact is you'll need to really dump alot of $$ to get the same results than simply buying a car that can take that abuse. A mustang is a true proven sports car, with a drivetrain that handles over 300 ftlbs of torque stock. Front wheel drive was another reason that changed my mind too. Unless it's RWD or AWD, you're at a disadvantage (unless driving through snow). Try regaining control through a turn in FWD vs. RWD and you'll know what I mean.

I respect eveybody's opinion as to whey they like their own car, but remember this...The cougar originally was based off the Mustang, and if it ever does return it probably will be again!

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Didn't know you were autocrossing too!! :thumbsup:

That's cool man. True that ;) more to a car than acceleration. Although I'm probably going to be hard headed on the TA hehe. Want to eventully turn it almost into a fully drag car, with limited street.

I'm not going to do any further mods until I get my debts paid off. So will be a few years and I am happy where she is at for the time being.

Then when they are all paid off, the car also will be paid off, and can then shell out for a 383ci or a 427ci engine ;)

If possible, I want a blown 427 for the powerplant :evil: but will have to look more into it and it's cost.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Sprucegreen like I said don't take offense to my above statment
*I don't think you did though*
Anyway I agree much work has to be done to yeild the same
results BUT
You can mod a 4 cyl. or V6 but the fact is you'll need to really dump alot of $$ to get the same results than simply buying a car that can take that abuse
just using the cougar as an example.
I've put roughly 1,500 into my motor counting the S-AFC that I don't have yet that turns
into about 1,874 with a NX 100wet shot (600.00with goodies) I'll probably (according to other cougars with similar mods)
I should see high 13's

So lets say I just spent a total of $2,700 on my motor
I bought my car for $19,000
That's a total of 21,700

How much was your car and then add in the mods.
It's just a comparison. Not starting an argument
By the way I've always wanted a mustang either GT or the GOD like SVT
So I might just be jealous right now. hehe

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
The reason I mod my car which is a 4cyl is because I bought it used and If I could have afforded it I would have gone v8 but I like the characteristics of the zetec and it responds to mods fairly well. Most people dont start off with v8s because quite frankly the base price is too much. The idea that people dream about is that with the cost of a car and mod money put into it they can beat a stock car that cost the same.

·
Registered
902 Posts
95 MR2 Turbo!! Thats my input to all of this!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Gyger: It's all good, no offense taken to your statements :) Just comparing here... I paid 18k for my Mustang used with 43k miles. Since then I've spent the following.

Steeda ECU reflash with 373 gears: $600, labor $400
Flowmaster Mufflers $100, labor $100
Auburn Pro Posi Differential: $385, labor $400
King Cobra Clutch: $185, labor $500
BBK Clutch Quadrant kit: $120
Steeda pullies: Gift ($160 value)
Steeda triax shifter: Gift ($150 value)
K&N filter: $40
X2C adjustable suspension kit: $360, labor $500
Mach 1 wheels: $480

WOW! I cant believe myself how much I've spent on this thing, LOL If I had the resources and time to do most of the work myself I would have save a lot. But if you count only go fast items plus the value of the car it would be roughly an extra $3000 bringing the price up to $21000, and now I have a used car with 73k miles on it... OUCH! Well thank goodness I'm picking up a 96 Sunfire as a commuter car and I wont need to sacrifice this car with the mileage anymore.

My own preference idislike mustangs . Correct me if im wrong butWhy did they not put a 6 speed in any mustangs
No problem in disliking Mustangs. :shrug: :) And they do put a 6 speed in mustangs, the last I remember driving my friends 03 Cobra it had 6 speeds to it. Why they have not put them in the GT I really dont know. As long as the geaing is properly spaced throughout, it wouldnt make much of a difference performance wise whether it was 5 or 6 speeds.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Around where I live, there are a bunch of rich kids whos parents buy them camaros and mustangs. I used to love smoking them in my truck. But now, I dont waste the gas.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Pyrochaos... clicked on your sig. A 454 in an S-10... wow, I can only imagine.

Marc, I'll be at englishtown this Sunday, hopefully running some solid 13-second times as well. Gotta keep those juiced Cougars at bay... especially the ATX's J/K

1 - 20 of 24 Posts