New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my friend and I have been looking for a camper for some time now and didnt really think he was as serious as I was about getting one until this past weekend.

We go to about 6 race weekends a year, including 1 that goes from weds pm til sunday, and a few more fri-sun that are all about 2.5 hrs away or so from mansfield. And with that in mind we found the tow behind trailer we wanted. Well we hope, never bought anything like this off Ebay but I cant imagine its that bad, since I talked to the dude and he was honest with me as far as I could tell.

Anyways, Im getting a plot at Lake Erie by Ian this summer, moms is retiring so she said she would help, and that way her and dad can come up on weekends too and we dont have to rent a place sinces its 250 a weekend off prime season and 200 a night for prime.

Well long story short its a 24ft. Sunline. Full bath, queen bed, front folds down into a bed, and full kitchen. Full length awning, AC, Heat, Water heater, propane and electric power, 3 tanks for fresh, dirty, and sewer, and pretty much everything I was looking for. Book on it is about 4k, but lets just say we didnt pay that.
Only issue is its in NJ so we gotta go get it next weekend. Plan to stop and see Hooven too for those of you who know her, good times.

eBay Motors: 1991 24ft Sunline Solaris (item 110183964200 end time Oct-26-07 17:26:17 PDT)

·
Premium Member
6,085 Posts
Make sure to check out the bottom thoroughly. If it was parked for a long period of time moisture underneath can cause rust, and potential issues under the floor. Also check the roof, although most people power wash the exterior sides, they often ignore the roof and leaves, bird crap, often sit. I remember a case where there was one guy who had a branch peirce the outer skin of the roof, needless to say it sat, mold accumulated, and he wondered why he having breathing issues whenever he went to his trailor. Turned out mold was the cause and the roof of his trailor had to be re-done.

We had a 42' trailor for about 16 years. Once they hit that age rust and rising/dropping floors start to be an issue depending on the moisture. Also get the axles and hubs checked over VERY well...I have seen many people loose a wheel or break an axle pulling them out after sitting for long periods.

Good luck on the purchase man, looks like a hell of a bargin.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ya I def. called and talked to him about roof and floor cuz after reading, just like you said, thats the age where it starts messing up. However he said the roof was leaking in 1 spot and it was fixed and checked the rest over with no leaks. The floor has no softspots, Im thinking when we get it we are gonna undercarriage it with that spray in undercarriage stuff from Autozone. I mean if its not soft and we do that, it wont get soft til the wood actually rots, which wont happen with no moister in it.
They said thy only used it 1 yr and the guy b4 took real good care and its practically brand new inside/out.

Said that the current owner stayed in it 1 time lol, and then had a baby and needs cash. The guy before was hardcore and Im sure well kept.
We are gonna winterize it on a weekend and then put it in storage somewhere.

Anymore tips Id appreciate from anyone.

·
Premium Member
6,085 Posts
check the seals around the doors and windows. Also, find the area where he had the leak repaired, better to get the info from him. Check the corners for pulled up carpet, check under the fridge for rot. I know he mentioned the plumbing is good, but have someone check the electrical. Also, if it does have a furnace, get it checked. There are some that are nutorious for gas leaks, and the last thing you need is a pilot light blowing it up, especially if it was rarely used. Check the toilet and have a plumber clean it throroughly, if he barely used it, there might be mold or grunge built up in the pipes. Also, run dome draino through the pipes a few times. There is a good chance calcuim built up in the pipes if it wasn't used, particularily if it sat multiple winters. Open the awning and make sure it was cleaned before it was rolled.

Other than that, give it a thorough cleaning whan you get it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts