New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone here previously own this golden girl? Picked her up from copart a few days ago.

·
Premium Member
4,427 Posts
Nice! I know exactly what I would do with that car. Whats your plan?

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right now just fix it so I have a running driving daily.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So far the doors gone. Fender gone. And bumper gone. The wreck also took out the passenger side door mirror, driver side headlight, strut, and fender liner.
I've already started taking broken stuff off and replacing it. I have the strut and spring replaced from a donor that had lowering springs on it which means I also still have the passenger side to do.
The door is now red. Fender is black. Passenger side mirror and front bumper are going to be silver.
If I had a blue passenger door a white bumper and a yellow hatch I think Id have every paint code covered lol.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Started with replacing the rear lights today the ones in it had a bunch of little cracks in them

Got both those replaced with a set I had with LED bulbs in them.
Not perfect but loads better.

Definitely better on both sides.

Next up while the hatch was open. I swapped in new hatch struts so the back of my head doesn't snack on a latch.

Then on to the ugly 99 spoiler.

Thats gotta go.
I know its not an exact color match but as I get to the rest of the car it'll become appearent that just putting it together is the main concern.

Better but not perfect. It's not the exact wing I want to use but I have enough colors going on at the moment. All I have left in the back is figuring out why the tag lights dont work.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Had to metal work the front mount for the fender a bit so I can get headlights in it. This is where it was when I started.

After a little work and deciding I need a larger slide hammer I made it to this point.

It still needs worked some more as the rear portion is still sunk in but I was able to get headlights in.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dug my front bumper off the silver car back out today. The body repair a few years ago cracked so I'm going to have to redo it if I dont find another one somewhere. I have a rainbow going on almost but I have a whole car together.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Moved on to getting the busted console out of it and swapped in the radio too while it was apart so I only had to pull the shifter handle once.
Before.

After

And the radio

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I should have known it wasn't going to be as simple as I thought.

The car starts runs and drives so everything to physically move works.

What doesnt work.
Cooling fans. A big one.

The AC doesn't work although that could be low refrigerant, however it has pressure.
It could be the compressor relay or the pressure switch or anything else in the system, however we are having some relay issues already.

The sunroof doesn't open. Maybe the relay.

At this point I'm wondering if I don't have damage in that A-pillar that was hit which got into wiring.

I do at least have a factory harness in the black car but Id hate to resort to that directly.

Anyone have any ideas?

·
Administrator
15,616 Posts
I chased on non-working fans on an SVT I had. It turned out to be one of the temperature sensors. Start by pulling the relay and jumping them to make sure the fans themselves actually work. If they, do try swapping the temp sensor that controls them (I can't remember which one it is).

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah I jumped the relays. The high amd low fan both work that way. My next thought was the resistor in the fan shroud I pulled the plug off it and was trying to get the fan to work by jumping it and nothing worked until I plugged it back in so its working.
The gauge works so the temp sensor for it works. And I can read the other temp sensor in live data on the OBD reader. It hits about 194° with the fan relay jumped and fluctuates slightly up and down. I've also checked other relays in the spots to rule out a bad relay.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Who can tell me what these 2 relays behind the glove box do? I cant remember off hand and their both missing.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Made some progress. Got the fender apron knocked back out.
It was pushed in a good amount.

Here you can see just how far in it was. The battery tray is still where it was.

Also fixed the PATS issue and keyless remote issue. Left the battery unplugged overnight and pulled the sensor ring around the ignition cylinder out and it reset the PATS system appearently. My light works and the key fob works again.

Pulled the rear struts to address the noise in the rear and found this.

That could do it.

·
Premium Member
4,427 Posts
Its no surprise the endlink is garbage, those are pretty much worthless the day after they get installed. The control arm on the other hand is fairly impressive. I assume it was probably some idiot with a tow strap.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Its no surprise the endlink is garbage, those are pretty much worthless the day after they get installed. The control arm on the other hand is fairly impressive. I assume it was probably some idiot with a tow strap.
Possibly.
Problem solved though. I need to get these struts rebuilt at some point. And I went ahead and put my Konigs on since they're probably what Im going with on this.

Its a bad day when I bend that toe arm lol

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
And I also got the front passenger strut, new control arm, and new outer tie rod in tonight. Im done for the day.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So this happened.

She started slipping. And the fluid smells similar to a dead rat.

Someone please refresh my memory. When doing the ATX to MTX swap, is it the entire engine harness we have to change or just the portion that runs behind the engine?
I was thinking the portion the injectors and all are in running over the engine is the same but I cant remember its been so long since I've done a swap.

·
Premium Member
4,427 Posts
Without digging into it, that makes sense. I think all the transmission related sensors are in that bundle behind the engine. The bundle on the P side is all injectors,timing cover stuff, and radiator area stuff.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just the harness that's on the engine. IIRC the car is still wired for things like the neutral safety switch in the cabin even if it's an auto.
Yeah I did this exact same thing on my black car when I got it but that was like 2009-ish.

I'm wondering if the part of the harness where the 3 plugs are which contains the injector portion is the same. I guess I'll find out. With the harness in the car that portion of it is in better shape on the sensor plugs then whats on the donor car.

There's been so many posts about how do I swap a manual in my car that searching for it is pointless now I found a bajillion posts and got annoyed with it before I found an answer

1 - 20 of 35 Posts