New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok the person who owned my cougar before me just sucked at owning it because there are so many scratches on it and chips etc.. I want to get it painted so badly. My father is completely against it. He says it will look terrible and won't last. What are the truths about getting your car repainted?

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
How will it look terrible and not last? If you take it to a good body shop it will definitely look better than it does now. Just don't go taking it to one of those paint places like maaco or whatnot, they do rush jobs, and don't cover all the non-painted parts up properly...I know from experience.

Mike

·
Registered
815 Posts
A good body shop/painter can do MUCH better than the stock paint. Yes, dont take it to Maaco, that WILL ruin your car. Go with the el cheapo $1000 paint job and it will more than likely be crap. Materials alone for a quality job will probably cost around a grand depending on the paint (color AND brand of paint) etc. The real trick to a great paint job are the countless hours upon hours and yet more hours of prep work before the painting even begins. That and the wetsanding and everything else afterwords. Expect a good paint job to START around $2500-3000. If you want a color change it will definatly be more.

Personally, with my car (My cougar is laser red) there is a LOT more "orange peel" to the factory paint than I find acceptable, and see in the cars that have quality paint jobs. Also, the red tint over the silver base coat has some issues. The amount of tint in the second stage is inconsistent throughout the car. Some areas just dont look as good as others and appear lighter/dusty. With a quality aftermarket paint job, I would not expect to see these problems. If I did, I would make the shop do it over again if i was paying for a show quality job.

In the end, yes a paint job CAN be much better than stock. DEFINATLY be ready to cough up a suitcase full of bills though. If you are getting a "deal" make sure to ask about other cars the shop/person has painted. Check the cars out, and decide if you like the quality of the job. Always remember though, you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Dang are places like macco really that bad? I honestly thought a $1000 paint job would be a decent job... well anyways, my uncle works at a detailing shop and could get my car painted good for that much, but still 3-4g's for a paint job? damn all I want is black....

·
El Mucho Post Whoro
12,140 Posts
Paintjobs aren't cheap. 1300-2000 generally covers cost of materials to paint a car, and then you have to factor in the labor costs. Prep time is big. You have to wetsand down the whole care so you've got an even layer before you can paint. Changing color makes more sanding time. And then there's spraying, drying, wetsanding, etc. Don't forget that your mirrors have to be pulled off, as well as trim and molding. And then masking off the windows and stuff with paint, removing the door cuips and painting them (since the rolled edge around the doorcup prevents you from sanding it in there properly), etc, etc, etc.... Oh yeah. And be prepared to lose your car to the shop for a week or more. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts