New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New owner... help me out

I am about to purchase a new car this summer... and after much consideration... i have decided to purchase a cougar. how could i not want one. well... i know that this might be a little much to ask... but you people on here seem to know what yall are talking about. I really havent seen many preformance parts out there for a cougar... and i was wondering if any of yall can help me out and let me know what they make... like perhaps a supercharger... turbocharger... headers... anything that will give me a nice boost. speaking of boost... some nos souds nice too. any information that you all can give me would be much appreciated. thanx a lot.

Chris

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Hey Cree, welcome to the boards. I believe I was the guy that you emailed about my car on my homepage (kbc8090).

Lets see if I can get the most general parts out here

Exhaust: The 2 main exhaust companies that make dual exhausts are Borla and YoDude. I am sure you have heard of borla so I wont go there, Yodude is a custom made 2.5" mandrel bent aluminumized steel piping and the choice of a magnaflow, dynomax, or flowmaster muffler, he offers SS systems and a single system also. The yodude website is YoDudePerformance.com.

Intake: Weapon-R, Injen, KKM, CTA Motorsports, BAT all make intakes for our cars. The most popular seem to be Injen and KKM. The Inejn and the Weapon-R both replace the stock "accordian" tube with their own smooth tube. The CTA, KKM, and BAT intakes just replace the stock airbox and maf adapter.

Headers: The main producer of headers for our cars is MSDS, they are pretty well known and these are pretty much give the most power on our cars, they cost around $600 though. Another effective header mod is PuckPuck's "mystery mod" which is just basically gutting the pre-cats, which costs around $10 and it is like a poor mans headers. Effectiveness of this mod is not determined but there is definitly a gain. I think a company named SHM makes headers also, I am not sure though

SVT stuff: Our car is sister with the Contour, same engine and platform. As you know they made a high output 2.5L Duratec engine for the contour that put out 198hp. A few people have swapped out the Upper Intake Manifold and Throttle Body with the one from the SVT Contour and have seen gains and better throttle response. Car's built before some point in 1999 require the SVT lower intake manifold to match the upper, but the newer cougars only need the upper and the TB and some essentials like gaskets and cables and such.

Chips: Lets see.. Superchips, Diablo, JET, and PAC all make chips for our cars. One of the guys on here did a conclusive test on chips and found the PAC chip to be the best, it is not listed on their website you need to call them and send your ECU to them to get your car to recognize their chip and they turn around and send it back to you. Chips arent reccomended as a first mod because chips for our cars are made to optimize all of our mods

Forced Induction: Vortech makes a supercharger, there have only been a handfull of people with one on thier car and they all have had problems and experinced unreliablility so many people steer clear of the $3500 price tag for 50hp i believe. Just recently we have had a VERY kind person named ChrisHighTower team up with Street Flights to make a turbo kit for our car, this is all playing out right now, people are putting down deposits and such to go twords the development. Check out the forced induction section for more info on that. Nitrous is a touchy subject, here is the breakdown. On May 3, 1999 Ford decided to change the fuel system on the cougars from Return-style to Returnless-style. This messes up saying nitrous can be used on all cougars in the same way. The cougars built before 5/3/99 can run the normal nitrous dry setups such as your basic ZEX or NOS kit. Cougs built after 5/3/99 must run either a wet system, like those provided by Venom or a direct port kit. I dont believe anyone is running a Venom or a direct port as of right now but I may be wrong.

Cosmetic: James(CustomCougars) has really helped the cougar get off the ground and really into the cosmetic aftermarket, there are quite a few body kits to choose from at hit web site, CustomCougars.com. He is not able to take orders at the moment though, he is in California with his project cougar and will be comming home March 22nd.

Tips: Altezza lights will NEVER EVER be made for the cougar its been tried many times and failed on each attempt. Also when you see the terms MTX and ATX that means the type of transmission

ATX = Automatic
MTX = Manual 5-Speed

I hope this helps you out some and get going here fast, have fun here! :)

-Kyle

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanx again man. you have been really helpful to me... and i will let you know whenever i buy some of those items. about how much of a hp and torque gain are you expected to get after all of your mods plus the chip? anyone else who can help me feel free to post something.

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
wow!
well, if your able to put ALL that stuff on your car...

i would immagine you would have enough power to fly if you added wings to the car! :biggrin:

now, im not a performance freak *YET* ive become so consumed with cosmetic stuff latley i havent payed attention to it but i always keep an eye on it, so i would guess at somewhere 50-70hp increase with all those mods (not the wheels) and WITHOUT the turbocharger... WITH it, you would be looking at another huge boost of HP...anywhere between 50 - 100 i *guess*

but again... i havent looked into it alot so this isnt 100% accurate but its something to go by until you really talk to someone like Craig who does a bit of everything (cosmetic, performance & audio) theres alot of GREAT people here, all of them are experts in at least SOMETHING... (guido, im looking at you :biggrin: ... guido is our expert smart-ass btw)

oh... i almost forgot... if you add a yellow 'type R' sticker somewhere, thats at LEAST 75hp increase :tongue:
(your new here so you might not get that, but i know everyone else will :biggrin: )

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hmm... someone is going to have to let me in on that yellow secret joke. i would like to know more about that turbocharger... so whoever would be able to give me the information... lay it on me. i have a friend here who is always talking **** about racing... so he is going to have to be the first one i test all of this out on. but... like i said... i will not be able to get this car till the summer... but i have some money saved up already that i immediately plan on using to give my cougar one heck of a roar. also... does anyone know the best tires are out there? and i need some rims... preferably white. im not asking to be spoon fed all of this information... im just curious.

Chris

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Chris,

I am sure if you cruise around to the different forums of the boards here in NECO (wheels, Duratec performance, ect.) you will find ALL of the topics you are asking about. And I would almost bet money that the same questions you have are out there and have been answered. There is SO much information here, that you could spend three days reading it all, and still not have it covered.

Happy reading and welcome!

Good luck,
Sunni :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea, put whatever you want some info on into the search box at the top and you should find tons of info about almost anything you need. And if you can't find what you're looking for, post in the respective section and someone will probably be able to help you out. One site to go to that has a bunch of stuff for the cougar is www.customcougars.com. James, the guy who runs it, owns a cougar and really knows a lot about modding them. You can read about his last car and his current one on the site. Plus he's gotten nothing but positive feedback from everyone who's ordered from him. He's usually available to help answer any questions you might have, and is very fast in getting you what you order. Welcome to the boards man!

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
aw come on... the atx transmission on the cougar isnt THAT bad...
just remember... it could always be worse.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts