New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to say hi to everyone on here. My neighbor gave my 10 year old son a black 2001 v6 atx with 130,000 on the clock. Not pretty right now, but it is keeping him busy away from the Xbox and the cell phones!

·
Super Moderator
22,336 Posts
that is a weak point for sure. if taken care of the motors will far outlast the atx. They can be rebuilt. What most people do is find a donor car and swap in a manual transmission. It all depends on how good the body is on your car. A mtx car can be found these days for cheap and you have everything you need

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We had an 03 awd ford escape with the cd4e /3.0 with 293,000 miles when we sold it. The trans never gave us any trouble. This car has what I suspect a broken forward sprag. 1st and 2nd work, no 3rd and O.d.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
If the awd trans in the escape is like the jaguar trans its built different then the fwd version. Just because it has the same number doesnt make it exactly the same.
If the numbers meant they were the same we could get the focus final drive gears for 3.0's with just swapping the trans.

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,812 Posts
There are SO MANY VARIATIONS of the CD4E, and those from a 99 Cougar are usually not compatible with an 02, even though they are direct bolt-on. These were used in the Cougar, Ford Contour, and Mercury Mystique, as well as a few model years of Mazda MPV minivans.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts