New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to Meguiars.com today and saw that they had some new car stuff out. So I went out and bought some, but it was snowing today lightly and I didnt really feel like standing out there for at least an hour washing my car in the snow! Anyway my point is has anyone tried this new stuff its called "NXT Generation". They have car wash, tech wax ( which is liquid wax), spray wax, and tech protectant (like armorall). If anyone else has used it, let me know if its any good or if the gold class is better.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I have yet to try it but I've heard good stuff about it...... and a few yawns about it. But as I've always said, make sure you prep the surface properly!

I wish they'd upgrade their clay bar though.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well the gold class wax is like $9.98 and this NXT Tech Wax is $14.98 but just cause its more expensive doesnt mean is nessecarily better, does it?? But I figure ill strip off the wax, clay bar it, then wash it with the new car wash then use the new wax. Tell me if thats a bad move or not?

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
Woah!!! D^2 Is Back!!

·
Registered
536 Posts
Meguiar's new NXT line is based on synthetic polymers, whereas their Gold Class is natural carnauba. Both products (polymers and carnauba) have advantages and disadvantages, it just depends on what type of protection best suits your individual needs.

Polymer sealants are capable of developing a stronger bond with paint which enables them to be layered, thus providing longer lasting protection. Polymer sealants are generally more expensive and require purchase of several products for proper use. This need for multi-product application also requires a greater initial time commitment. A potential hazard of some polymer sealants is that the lower quality ones may not allow your paint to naturally expand and contract, causing cracked paint and "spider-webbing" (since carnauba does not bond as deeply, this process is not impeeded). Additionally, if the accumulated layers are not removed, after an extended length of time your paint's finish may cloud or yellow.
Natural waxes like carnauba on the other hand, provide deeper gloss and clarity while allowing your paint to naturally expand and contract. It does not build up in layers and it naturally dissipates over time. Because they eventually wear-away, waxes do require more frequent re-application than polymer sealants, but they are generally less expensive and more readily available. Due to their need for superior shine and clarity, most car enthusiasts will only use quality carnauba wax products.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Originally posted by: Morph
Meguiar's new NXT line is based on synthetic polymers, whereas their Gold Class is natural carnauba. Both products (polymers and carnauba) have advantages and disadvantages, it just depends on what type of protection best suits your individual needs.

Polymer sealants are capable of developing a stronger bond with paint which enables them to be layered, thus providing longer lasting protection. Polymer sealants are generally more expensive and require purchase of several products for proper use. This need for multi-product application also requires a greater initial time commitment. A potential hazard of some polymer sealants is that the lower quality ones may not allow your paint to naturally expand and contract, causing cracked paint and "spider-webbing" (since carnauba does not bond as deeply, this process is not impeeded). Additionally, if the accumulated layers are not removed, after an extended length of time your paint's finish may cloud or yellow.
Natural waxes like carnauba on the other hand, provide deeper gloss and clarity while allowing your paint to naturally expand and contract. It does not build up in layers and it naturally dissipates over time. Because they eventually wear-away, waxes do require more frequent re-application than polymer sealants, but they are generally less expensive and more readily available. Due to their need for superior shine and clarity, most car enthusiasts will only use quality carnauba wax products.
Great answer. You can layer Natural Waxes though........

·
Registered
536 Posts
Great answer. You can layer Natural Waxes though........
True to some extent, but in comparison to polymer sealants, a natural wax's layering abilities are minimal when done in the same sitting. The paint will only hold so much and the excess is just removed in the buffing process with little benefit compared to the amount of work. While there is some slight incremental protection with each application of carnauba wax, you'll gain greater benefits by spreading the same number of applications over a longer period of time.

To answer CougarSVT's question:
If you are looking for superior depth of shine, stick with Meguiar's Gold Class or a comparable carnauba wax containing product.
If durability is more your goal and you don't have time to reapply wax every two months, go with the Meguiars NXT or a comparable polymer sealant.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well if I swap every time I wax my car, like leave NXT on for 6months and gold class for 3 is that a bad method? Cause if NXT well cloud, yellow or spiderweb my paint I dont want to use it, but if I use it in moderation with clay bar as well would it help or not really?

·
Registered
536 Posts
Choose one or the other and stick with it, going back and forth will just be more of a hassle. If you decide to go with a polymer sealant, as long as you remove any accumulated layers every 6 months, you should not have any trouble with clouding or spiderwebbing. Those are extreme cases caused by factors like low quality product, neglect, sealing uncured paint, allowing the product to remain on the car for more than year, etc.
Additonally, I imagine Meguiar's took into consideration the negative aspects of polymer sealants and formulated their product to be as consumer friendly as possible. Meguiar's tends to make their products as safe as possible since they are one of the largest consumer based car care product companies.

Like with any car maintenance program, follow a schedule.
Do the following every 6 months if you're using polymer sealants:
1.) Remove existing protection (either wash vehicle once w/ Dawn, use 3M's General Purpose Cleaner, or use a diluted rubbing alcohol solution)
2.) Clay the vehicle (ClayMagic or Mothers Clay kits are good and widely available)
3.) Follow the manufacturers instructions for application of whichever polymer sealant you are using.

·
Registered
418 Posts
The Meguiars trailer was at Barrett-Jackson in Arizona last month and i picked up a bottle of their NXT Car Wash and NXT Tech Wax.
Its been raining here so I havent bothered to waste the time spiffing up the car.
I will let you guys know how I like it as soon as the weather clears up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts