New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here are some new pics of the cougar as it sits today in the rain...thought I would share some of the litte things I have changed on the cougar in the last few weeks! Tell em what you think!
* I do have the fog lights just finished plastic polishing them and will be reinstalling this week!

New GTS Headlight Covers! Plus it's not seen in this pic but I also openned the actual headlights cleaned as best I could, and got rid of the amber corners...

New Pads and Rotors! (drilled) and while I had the wheels off I did some wire brushing and caliper painting...

Shaved the hatch letters and placed the cougar head in place of the Mercury emblem! (Oh and I also painted the bottom of the gast tank and toe hooks black...the previous owner had painted them red...and I am a little bit anal and it was driving me crazy....so black they went!)

Xenon Bulbs...Just got them in today (cheap aftermarket set off of EBAY) I dont expect them to be amazing but do expect them to give off more light...we will see. Cause you get what you pay for!

*So obviousy...smoking the side markers and some tail light covers will finish the look...but what else is on your mind. :)

· Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nice, how much fade is noticeable where the letters used to be?
When I first took them off...there was a little...But after a couple waxes and the more sun I am sure...It is pretty close to non existent!

· Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where's the shorty Antenna??? :confused:
Hahaha remember how you warned me about taking it off when I went through a car wash? I forgot one time...:rolleyes:

I have it...but I need better threads on this mount...so I am gonna have to pick up a new mount! :banghead:

· Registered
699 Posts
those xenon bulbs off ebay arent brighter... they'er just blueish purple.. And Idk bout anyone else but isnt paint ur calipers extremely bad for heat ventilation ?!?..

otherwise i love the sleekness of it.. especially those headlight covers.

· Registered
892 Posts
The xenon bulbs will seem to appear brighter, I used to have the same things. They seemed to have a slight increase in sight distance and brightness. But they did overheat slightly and burned out after about 5 months. I now have silverstars and am much more pleased with them.

As for painting calipers....I have not heard anything about bad about it. Nor have I ever experienced any problems with painted calipers.

· Registered
3,396 Posts
those xenon bulbs off ebay arent brighter... they'er just blueish purple.. And Idk bout anyone else but isnt paint ur calipers extremely bad for heat ventilation ?!?..

hm, GM/Chevrolet must be morons, because all of the new Corvettes come with painted calipers, most are red and say corvette along the side.

yes, those are STOCK

· Registered
907 Posts
I though xenon bulbs were HID, as in they use an arc of electrcity across a xenon filled glass tube to generate light. Those look like normal halogen bulbs with a blue tint on the glass to make the color output look like a xenon bulb.

· Registered
907 Posts

Painting them will slightly decrease the heat transfer, The paint obviously can't transfere heat as well as bare metal, plus the transfere between materials causes a loss in efficency. But honestly the amount is negligeble and has no ill effects, as the transfer to air is from either is where there is the largest drop in heat transfer.

now if you tried painting say, a cpu processor & putting the heatsink over the dry paint it would casue lots of issues, but you are never going to work you calipers hard enough to generate the amount of heat to max out the dissapation of it being painted & casue problems witht he fluid.

· Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Painting them will slightly decrease the heat transfer, The paint obviously can't transfere heat as well as bare metal, plus the transfere between materials causes a loss in efficency. But honestly the amount is negligeble and has no ill effects, as the transfer to air is from either is where there is the largest drop in heat transfer.

now if you tried painting say, a cpu processor & putting the heatsink over the dry paint it would casue lots of issues, but you are never going to work you calipers hard enough to generate the amount of heat to max out the dissapation of it being painted & casue problems witht he fluid.

I completely agree...the paint will I am sure reduce a small amount of the heat transfer. But not enough to notice a difference in the braking potential...I have painted all of the calipers on all of my cars...and never ever had an issue. And just like JAYZEE showed us a lot of performance vehicles have painted/powder coated calipers...so the loss in transfer can't be large enough to make a difference!

· Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am going to be putting the bulbs in tomorrow....so I will take pics of one with the new ones and one with the stock so you can see the difference.

I am sure these bulbs (are fake xenons...) Xenon bulbs are called that because Xenon gas has been introduced into the glass envelopes of the light bulb...

Here are the main differences...

Halogen Bulbs: A very small amount of xenon gas is used to produce a whiter light and to help keep deposits off the glass tube.

Xenon High Intensity Discharge (HID) Bulbs: They are filled with xenon gas and use a stabilized arc of electricity to generate a whiter light source than is available from a standard halogen bulb.

Unless your paying the big bucks for HIDS...you don't have true Xenons...they merely contain a percentage of the gas!

· Registered
3,396 Posts
We drive Ford products because we know what morons GM/Chevrolet really are? Although they are good to my dad on his '06 Caddy CTS =/
oh dont even go there. the big three have been jooing people out of money and good cars since foreign automakers became well known the states. the big three made cars based on looks and style, not performance or reliability, and yet they jacked the price up, until the foreign makers gave them competition to be good in reliability and performance on ALL models.

/thread jack :argh:

· Registered
3,396 Posts
oh, and for the record, your calipers dont affect your stopping ability, no matter how hot or cold they are, they will work the same no matter what. well, unless they're so hot the'ye turning liquid or they're so frozen they wont move. but anyway, the only thing you want to worry about getting hot is your ROTOR. not your caliper. :rofl:

· Premium Member
22,503 Posts
oh, and for the record, your calipers dont affect your stopping ability, no matter how hot or cold they are, they will work the same no matter what. well, unless they're so hot the'ye turning liquid or they're so frozen they wont move. but anyway, the only thing you want to worry about getting hot is your ROTOR. not your caliper. :rofl:
okay this is partly true. Yes most of the heat is between the pad and the rotor. So painting the Calipers doesn't make any significant difference. But there is a point at which Brake fluid boils. If the caliper gets to hot the brake fluid boils and your stopping ability is greatly reduced. But this will never happen during normal driving conditions. I have boiled the brake fluid at the track a few times but never on the street.

· Registered
3,396 Posts
okay this is partly true. Yes most of the heat is between the pad and the rotor. So painting the Calipers doesn't make any significant difference. But there is a point at which Brake fluid boils. If the caliper gets to hot the brake fluid boils and your stopping ability is greatly reduced. But this will never happen during normal driving conditions. I have boiled the brake fluid at the track a few times but never on the street.
really? damn. youd think itd have a high boiling point, ****, it sits in your hot engine bay, even tho its not touching anything reallll hot. :rofl:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.