New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
k guys what do u think...... heres what i want- since my pioneer premier dex p1r went bad i need a new headunit

i want one with MP3 single CD and just thats all i guess- i dont care how much it is- but i dont want a TV either... so have any good ones to suggest??

also- since my old headunit died.. well it will play the radio and from the multidisc in the trunk (just the single in dash wont work)- where would i put that- does anyone know if there is some place i can give it to?

thanks guys!

katie

·
Registered
302 Posts
Sony, they make the best units in the upper range. They also look the best of any out there. I suggest this model. It offers G-Protction, MP3, all the outputs you need (incase you need more there is a slightly higher model for an extra $50), even supports XM radio (the $50 up model does not). If you have money to burn you can upgrade to this one which gives you a color LCD display for displaying pictures or backdrops. If you dont need a color display then just get the first one.

If you hate sony or just prefer something else, I would suggest an Alpine unit such as this one. If you go with Alpine they also offer this nifty model that has a pop up display that is very large, when closed it looks like you removed the face plate of an ordinary stereo.

One last one which is note worthy is this Kenwood unit which has a fold down controll unit to make controls easy. When closed it looks like it is missing a face for security pourpaces. While you may not need it, Kenwood offers a rebate for a free Sirius tuner worth $150, all you have to buy is the antenna and pay the month to month service charge. You dont have to use Sirius it is optional.

Sony MP3 ($400)

Sony MP3 with LCD ($700)

Alpine MP3 ($350)

Alpine Pop Up MP3 ($550)

Alpine Pop Up MP3 Closed

Kenwood Pop Down MP3 ($480)

Attachments

G

·
If your interested in a great LONG lasting high quality Headunit MP3 player DEFINETLY go with the Alpine cda 7894. TONS of features, AWESOME playback and xm ready as well as motirized:)

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
wow just don't buy from crutchfield, you can get those headuntes for way less than on there. go ebay.

Mike

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Originally posted by: 01blkcat
I wouldn't bother with Sony... any manfacturer that you can make skip with your own bass needs to reconsider their stance on ESP... :biggrin:
I used to have this problem too... Maybe the higher end stereos have better skip protection though, cause the one I had was one of their mid-range models. I think it was like $400.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i think im just buying one from our car sound place- its a really nice one- and their prices are def. marked up- but they will install it and in case anything goes wrong i can just take it back there and they will fix it without me having to pay more bc i will buy the product from them and they will install it

but i love that sony

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Ive got the alpine cda-9813 and it works beautifully, you can get it for 300 shipped from etronics.com

·
Registered
302 Posts
Mike why did you get rid of your Sony unit?

Best Buy has a sale this week, 10% off all car audio. They carry all the models I showed above, you can have them install it, and they have a great return policy. They also guarintee all their work, if anything ever happens they will fix it. Here is the selling point, Best Buy's Extended warrinty, 3 years if anything happens to the unit you get store credit to a new one. All you have to do is claim a problem and you get a new unit, just think when new technology is out you can upgrade to a new model. Best Buy has a price drop on the first Sony MP3 unit i showed, its now only $329.

Now I know you said you would get a unit from your car and sound place but unless it is one of the models I pictured above then you may be compromissing features. Most anyone will tell you that the Alpine 9813 (first Alpine unit pictured) is an excelent unit, it is the safe choice. While I am a fan of Sony, others arent. If you have problems with the Sony unit and you purchased it at Best Buy with the extended warrinty then you can get any other unit at any time. Like I said, the Alpine 9813 is the tried and true unit, personaly I dont care for the looks of it.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Originally posted by: ttCougarLongIsland
I got that sony head with LCD(paid about $450 for it) unit and i love it. Works well with the theme of my car and sounds great
lol, they all have lcd's. Im figuring you ment the one with the high rez color display. Like I said, Sonys products stand out in a crowd. And look at that LCD just think what you can do with it.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Originally posted by: coyotefreek
Here is the selling point, Best Buy's Extended warrinty, 3 years if anything happens to the unit you get store credit to a new one. All you have to do is claim a problem and you get a new unit, just think when new technology is out you can upgrade to a new model.
Be real careful with this - I work for Best Buy, and the 'claim a problem and get a new unit' is NOT how it works, sorry to tell you. They will only replace if it can't be repaired, but they will try first (and return it to you). The normal turnaround time is about 2-3 weeks. I'm not bashing Best Buy or it's warranty, but I'm simply letting you know that the common misconception isn't true in this case. Don't let the salesperson tell you different.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Originally posted by: coyotefreek
Originally posted by: ttCougarLongIsland
I got that sony head with LCD(paid about $450 for it) unit and i love it. Works well with the theme of my car and sounds great
lol, they all have lcd's. Im figuring you ment the one with the high rez color display. Like I said, Sonys products stand out in a crowd. And look at that LCD just think what you can do with it.
Yes The high rez one tough guy

·
Registered
517 Posts
does anyone realize that the headunit mentioned -the pioneer dexp1r- was and is a very good headunit. replacing it with a 300 cdplayer is not comparable. if you want something that will be on par performance wise take a look at the replacement model the pioneer dexp9r. ive used it with the eq combo and it is one of my most favorite setups.
josh

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.