New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive owned my 2000 cougar for the last two months. Ive had a alotta probluems, powerstering, transmission, motormounts, breaks, not to mention the hate i got from my car club "street knights" when I traded my eclipse in for an american (and a ford!) car. Everyone admited it is a nice ride, but they mocked the probs of a domestic car. But, Im sticking with the old gurl, I see potential.

So far, Ive added a temporary system, two twelve inch kickers, and an 800 watt kicker amp, pioneer cd player, I just bought some ebiatch lowering springs, next step is some 19s, dampeners, and an anti roll kit. Once suspension is complete, I plan to go aestetics. I like the melinum full body kit. And even though z3 fenders are played out, I liked em on my eclipse, so they will be included. CF hood, should finish the body work. Next a borla exhaust, weapon r cai system, weapon r ecu chip, and maybe, like towards the end of the year Ill go on the hunt for a supercharger.

Thats alot of money. And even though I only make thirtythree g a year, I work offshore, so when I get home I usualy have about fortytwo hundred saved up.

My biggest question is, is it worth it? Well this car continue to give me probs, or have i solved the worst?

Thanks for the feedback, Brandon....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,417 Posts
I've had pretty good luck with my car....plus I don't think you'll find too many people that will tell you NOT to mod your cougar....since most of us have already ;)

Oh , and welcome to the boards man :wave:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,240 Posts
Sounds like you have a good idea of what you want to do...

The few things i can think of with your mods are ditch all the Weapon-R stuff. Get a GMK or Titan CAI.

Also you probably would be better goign with GroundControl coilovers instead of the Eibachs. Mainly beacuse the 19's will be eifficult to squeeze in there and it will make things easier with the Millenium kit to raise and lower it for shows and when you drive on the street.

And while I'm thinking about the Millenium kit, you will have to have one of teh vents shaved on your z3's to get the fender flares to be molded right.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,973 Posts
hey man imports have their share of problems too. And most of them are lot worse than American cars. I say you should just stick it out like I did (I've had all the common problems with this car too) and I still mod it. And I agree with Brandon...get rid of all the Weapon-R stuff lol

Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
558 Posts
Originally posted by: Brandon
And while I'm thinking about the Millenium kit, you will have to have one of teh vents shaved on your z3's to get the fender flares to be molded right.

its also been passed around the boards that the z3's arent the best option for the millenium kit. the fender flares carry too much weight for the z3 fenders.


i've had my 2000 for 3 years, it had 10 miles on it when i bought it and i havent had 1 problem with it (knock on wood, now that i said that) but i dont know if u've had all those problems u might have a lemon.

:shrug:
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for all the sujestions. Ill look into the titan cai, but Ill prob stay with the ecu chip, considering there so few for this model. I can ditch the z3 fender, but I already have the eibachs installed. maybe down the road ill replace them, but I hate to throw 300 bucks down the drain.

Thanks Brandon
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,409 Posts
Before you do the 19s, definitely look into the Ground Control/KONI Combo first... if not you are going to have a rough time finding a set of 19s in our lug pattern that are just the right size for the eibcahs without rubbing...

Intakes, its up to you.... If you have an Automatic, I would still suggest the Weapon R Trio Kit. If you have a manual, then definitely look into the Complete GMK Intake... maybe even in Carbon Fiber to match your CF Hood you have planned.

Millennium Body Kit consists of 8 fiberglass pieces. If you are looking to do fenders as well as the included fender flares, your best bet would be the CustomCougars X1 Fenders. They are very strong (6oz) and will allow you to have the styled vent as well as the Millennium Flare.

Let me know if you need any help deciding, CustomCougars.Com is the site I run.
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was just wondering, why do you recommend the weapon R trio for automatics, and not the GMK or Titan?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
180 Posts
I betcha a dollar I know! The atxs have less room under the stock airbox cause of the larger transaxle components and makes stuffing the piping from the Titan and GMKs in pretty tricky unless you move the battery to the trunk (and please, for g's sake, don't start the debate about whether or not to do that). The Weapon R stuff uses more of the stock stuff and can be fit with less hassle (like cutting a hole in the front of your engine bay to more space for the piping)

But I'm not a big fan of the Weapon R filters - I would get a K&N that fits even if I got the 3 piece CA box.

My advice - research the living bejeezus out of anything before you do it - otherwise it has a 90% chance of biting you in the a$$.
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have the weapon r system right now (still need to install the cold air box and hose), but was considering switching to one of the others. If they are too hard to install on an atx though it's not really worth it, for me.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,300 Posts
If I where to buy another CDW-27 car tomorrow, here are the things that I would by the following day and install:

1) NAPA metal impeller water pump
2) Walbro fuel pump
3) Rebuild the alternator at a qualified shop
4) Get the revised oil pan
5) Get the 2001+ console installed if I had a 99-00 without the central cup holder

That right there will solve about 95% of the problems that these cars will face. The other 5% will be odd ball stuff that happens to all cars regardless of make/model choice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,189 Posts
And stay away from the weapon R chip also...Weapon R doesn't have a good name amongst many of the US part makers, and plenty of people here. And it's for copying probs and poor quality parts.

If you're looking into doing any form of ECU upgrade, as everyone will tell you, wait till all the mods are done and the get a custom burned dyno tuned chip. Look into diablo or fordchips for now.
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Projectcougar- I havent heard of the X1s, Ill do a search and see what it turns up.

fastcougar- Koo, But why replace the console? Is it just for show or does it server a function. My cougar has a cup holder, but it seems to fail its job when making hard turns. Thanks for the other sujestions, I was already considering the 2 and 3 ones, you just helped make my mind up.


pgtatx- Damn, I was going for a all weapon r setup, but you guys know more about this than me, So I will take the advice.

thanks Brandon
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,201 Posts
Projectcougar- I havent heard of the X1s, Ill do a search and see what it turns up.
www.customcougars.com is the site James owns. You'll find the X1 fenders and many other parts here for our cougars.

fastcougar- Koo, But why replace the console? Is it just for show or does it server a function. My cougar has a cup holder, but it seems to fail its job when making hard turns.
The 99-00 model cougars came with that pullout cup holder a.k.a. cup spiller. It's worthless. The 01-02 consoles have an updated cup holder that works better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,086 Posts
Originally posted by: FastCougar
If I where to buy another CDW-27 car tomorrow, here are the things that I would by the following day and install:

1) NAPA metal impeller water pump
2) Walbro fuel pump
3) Rebuild the alternator at a qualified shop
4) Get the revised oil pan
5) Get the 2001+ console installed if I had a 99-00 without the central cup holder

That right there will solve about 95% of the problems that these cars will face. The other 5% will be odd ball stuff that happens to all cars regardless of make/model choice.

i have a question have a oil leak and i just had to replace my values is the oil pan to blame???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
429 Posts
I have a 99 cougar and my center console looks just like that one.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,300 Posts
Originally posted by: hawk3
I have a 99 cougar and my center console looks just like that one.
This means that you also have 15" wheels orignially and don't have rear disc brakes. The "sports package" equiped Cougars came with the cup spiller. Non-sports models came with a similar console as the 2001-2002 cars, but didn't have a coin holder and a different arm rest. I edited my original post to include a picture of the arm rest down. Trust me, the consoles are MUCH different.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top