New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see a lot of posts, how-to's and FAQ's concerning new gauge faces and how to install them. I've got some new Indiglo gauges, they're installed in the dash, but I need to recalibrate them. How do I do this? All the How-To's say, "have these installed by a professional or calibrate them after installation." I've heard that to calibrate, you just disconnect and reconnect your battery, and look for the tach and speedo to ping from one end to the other (8000 and 150) and then you're good. I did that for 45 minutes yesterday and they never changed where they stopped (7250 and 140). Is there a secret I don't know? What about the gas needle and temp needles? How do you calibrate them?

So how do I calibrate them? My temp gauge reads hot, but the engine is running normal temp; the tach is about 750 rpms off, and the speedometer is about 5 mph off. I need to get this fixed soon before I get flashed by a traffic camera.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Put the gas needle in the same spot it was when you removed it. Let the car warm up and then put the temp needle just below the halfway point. For the tach and SPeedo, put the car in DTC mode(hold units and reset, and turn the key to the on position. They click select until it shows you your RPM, and adjust to the right rpm. It may take a few tries since the needles are weighted a little bit. For the speedo, take your car on the highway with someone with you. get the car up to say 50MPH and set the cruise control. Have the passanger hold the wheel and drive the car, while you put the needle back on and make sure its good(may take a few tries). Thats just about it.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gas gauge - o.k.
Temp gauge - o.k.
Tach - o.k.
Speedo - are you serious?
On the autobahn... at 50mph... if I don't get run over, I'll probably drive into a wall or something. Is there any other possible way? If not, I can give it a try.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
The speed really doesnt matter. Go as fast as you want, just over 30mph, so you can actually set the cruise control. Then have someone hold the steering wheel on a long straight, and adjust to the speed your cruise control is set at. You can see that speed in the DTC mode also. just push select until you see MPH/KPH.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
If the needles drop down to 6 o'clock when the ignition is off, push them back up to 10 o'clock and push it a little more - a lot of people are running around with aftermarket gauges that aren't properly installed....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.