New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Read Only
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. Figured I had better post here since my first account got banned, so maybe not posting here is why. Anyway, I bought a 99 2.0 Cougar a couple of weeks ago and am in the process of fixing the little gremlins in it. 150k on it, and the major timing belt replacement and clutch have already been done to it. Now I just need to replace some rear hub bearings and some tires and she should be road worthy. Thanks for having me!

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Welcome!. Youve come to the right place. Got pics of your car?

·
Administrator
24,343 Posts
Rear hub bearings are easy. Enjoy!

·
Registered
5,443 Posts
Welcome!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks guys. My original account got banned for being a bot for some reason, but I was able to get it back. I will get some pictures today and post them up. I did take all the wheels off and I don't have any wheel bearing play, so I thnk it's just the rusty brakes sounding like a bad wheel bearing since it sat for two years.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I do have some "before" pictures when I brought it home. It was pretty dirty from sitting and having a few mice in it.

·
Administrator
24,343 Posts
Yeah, that'll need some elbow grease - but it's just grime, not damage, so you're in a good spot.

This guy from Blackpool runs an excellent YouTube channel with all the details on how he buys filthy cars for cheap and restores them back to like-new condition - Autoshine Cars

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
I bought a stinky, dirty MK1 Focus a few years ago. I removed every piece of cloth and plastic from the interior and took them all to the car wash where I pressure washed everything. (Not recommended for the motors in power seats)
I discovered cigarette ash caked in every crevice behind the dashboard so I alternated between blowing it out with air and vacuuming it out a few times.
After letting the seats, carpet, and headliner dry in the sun for a couple days, I put it back together and it looked great and the smell was 95% gone.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The above are the after cleaning pictures. We pulled the entire interior out and power washed everything and shampooed the seats. The floor is already dirty from driving it around. :) It actually looks better in person.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I bought a stinky, dirty MK1 Focus a few years ago. I removed every piece of cloth and plastic from the interior and took them all to the car wash where I pressure washed everything. (Not recommended for the motors in power seats)
I discovered cigarette ash caked in every crevice behind the dashboard so I alternated between blowing it out with air and vacuuming it out a few times.
After letting the seats, carpet, and headliner dry in the sun for a couple days, I put it back together and it looked great and the smell was 95% gone.
That's exactly what we did with it. Had to get a few air fresheners but it's a lot better now. It's not the first car I have had to do that with.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts