New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well if you remember I ran at the track in ~August maybe in 90 degree weather and ran a 17.8 needless to say, I was embarrassed and disappointed. Welp, just ran in 50 degree weather, got three runs in

Run 1 - 17.54
Run 2 - 17.32
Run 3 - 17.20

I was so happy!! I knew my time would come down more as I perfected my shifting/power breaking. But I didn't get a chance to run anymore. In any event, I'm extatic! My goal is to dip into the 16s. I am fairly confident I can do it with a little bit of weight reduction. I was looking at a HP/Weight/ET calculator and a drop of 100 pounds yields a drop of about 1.5 tenths of a second on the 1/4. I'm going to remove the passenger seat, back seat, sub+box, and spare tire. How much would all that weigh? Hopefully close to 100 lbs :).

I've also set myself a new goal, 150 wheel HP by CF 2004. Stock ATX dynos at 120 right? So I need to pick up 30 whp. What do you think would get me there? CAI + Cat-Back + Gutted Precats + Chip? And at 150 whp I hope to be in the low 16s........I'll cry if I go that fast :p

EDIT also, of course the reason my times came down is the temp drop, but, with a CAI would I keep these times in even 90 degree weather? Or will they go back up again in summer?

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
The CAI wont pick up 50 degree air flowing under the car in the summer, but it will improve all around. A CAI in 50 degree weather is something I need to try out. My car feels so much better in the cold. I actually almost slightly barely chirp the tires in right hand turns.........

·
Registered
429 Posts
Dude 17.2 is not a very good time in 50 degree weather you would probably do better in the atx if you didn't shift it yourself atleast that is what it feels like to me but I have never been to the track.

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
dude, yeah, all you need is any intake, an exhaust and that precat mod thingy. and make sure you engine has cooled off.

i remember when i did my runs with a short ram / exhaust and a hot engine, i had just gotten to the track, waited 5 minutes, did a run and got something retarded like a 16.7 then i popped the hood, waited an hour for it to cool off and went back out *boom* instant 16.3... just from the engine being cooler.
- slow as hell STILL, but keep in mind, i had my big ol' blingin 18" rims, all my stereo stuff, spare tire, madcrazyinsane heatsoak heh! and any other weight ADDING mods :tongue:

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
yea my car is a lot faster in the cold weather too. I'm getting the CAI soon, and I can't wait for it. I already got I/E, gutted precats, and y-pipe, and my car really moves now. How much does your sub box weigh? Mine's about 100lbs alone. If you take the back seat/passenger seat out, spare tire and sub box that should be more than 100lbs. I still have yet to try my car without the box and donut in the trunk.

Mike

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Originally posted by: hawk3
Dude 17.2 is not a very good time in 50 degree weather you would probably do better in the atx if you didn't shift it yourself atleast that is what it feels like to me but I have never been to the track.
Shut up.....douche bag.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by: Fett
Originally posted by: hawk3
Shut up.....douche bag.
HAHAHAHAHA I LOVE YOU FETT :). First run = no manuual shift, second run = manual shift

·
Registered
230 Posts
Thats pretty slow for a stock auto, though better than your first time. Exactly how much stuff did you have in the car? As far a drag racing is concerned you should turn overdrive off and leave it in D. Rev to 2000 with the pedal halfway down, on the thrid yellow jump off the brake and floor the gas. Thats how I get my best results. Oh and power-wise. I have the Titan CAI and a Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler and my car put down 132 fwhp. I'm thinking opening up the exhaust a little more(Headers,Y-Pipe, Hi-Flow Cat) any maybe getting an SVT UIM and SVT TB will eaisely put my car in the 150 fwhp range. Also consider nitrous. THE most cost effective way to make your automatic fast. Dgnzcoug got 186 fwhp for only like $700($500 for kit+$200 for installation).

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
You are well on your way to obtaining your goal. :)

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Red2kCougar got 16.7 in his stock automatic :shrug:

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He also had spare tire removed, non-heavy ass power seats and no body kit. Also no sub in the trunk. I'm positive I can get close to that time if I lose 100 lbs and perfect my shift/power break.

EDIT - I would get nitrous but my dad would literally **** a brick if he found out I had it.... Only way I could hope to pull that off is to put the tank in my spare tire well.....could I do that?

EDIT 2 - A 75 shot would put me in the 15s right? At least I would hope.....

N

·
0 Posts
Yeah I pulled a 186 hp 210 tq with the following mods.

- CAI
- Exhaust
- NGK 2 step colder sparks
- Zex 75 shot
-Hayden Tranny Cooler

Edit: I found my other dyno sheets and these were my numbers

55 shot- 168.0 FWHP, 179.4 lbsTQ
65 shot- 178.9 FWHP, 196.5 lbsTQ
75 shot- 186.9 FWHP, 210.3 lbsTQ

Im adding an Apex-AFC and getting scheduled for some dyno tuning around Christmas and I hope to add all SVT parts, and some other goodies before next spring is over. Im going to be headed to a 1/4 track soon once I get my blowdown tube installed. Before I go I plan on stripping my interior and taking out my system to see what I can run. I have no idea what Ill hit...hopefully itll be a good time :)

And Cougarballa- you can place your nitrous bottle practically anywhere, but you have a system dont you? That would limit your space a little. And nitrous fills can become quite expensive depending how often you purge, and spray. The coolness effect has worn of with the purge after having to fill my bottle three times at 35 per fill at my local speedshop. Nitrous is great but its temporary. Its nice to know you have it there, but you shouldnt rely on it constantly. You can pretty much tell the races you will have to open your bottle for or leave closed. You must also try to remember, nitrous is not something to be fooled with, or if you are not responsible enough with it will harm you in the end. Be smart and be safe.

George

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Originally posted by: CougarBalla2k5

He also had spare tire removed, non-heavy ass power seats and no body kit. Also no sub in the trunk. I'm positive I can get close to that time if I lose 100 lbs and perfect my shift/power break.

EDIT - I would get nitrous but my dad would literally **** a brick if he found out I had it.... Only way I could hope to pull that off is to put the tank in my spare tire well.....could I do that?

Theoretically, every 100 pounds is 1/10th of a second

17.2(your time) - 16.7(his time) = .5 second. I dont think all of Red2kCougar's removed parts and/or the stuff he didnt have make up 500 lbs (theoretically:))

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by: Instigator

Theoretically, every 100 pounds is 1/10th of a second

17.2(your time) - 16.7(his time) = .5 second. I dont think all of Red2kCougar's removed parts and/or the stuff he didnt have make up 500 lbs (theoretically:))
I'm sure I can get down to 16.9 by just shifting and breaking properly. I haven't gotten a proper power break yet because after I stage it seems like everything goes so fast and I don't have time to think before I go. I can get close to his time, maybe not as low. Also its more like .4 second, IIRC he ran a 16.79? Mine is a 17.20 -- I can catch up, I must!!! :p

Alex

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts

Could always just put the bottle in the corner of the trunk and just throw a sweatshirt over it? or a towel... or cleaning rags - lots of them :) heh.

M

·
0 Posts
"Shut up.....douche bag."

He is definately wrong to say manual shifting is slower, but there shouldn't be a need to call him that.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Originally posted by: markmark
"Shut up.....douche bag."

He is definately wrong to say manual shifting is slower, but there shouldn't be a need to call him that.
Newbie trying to be the law and order? :rofl:

·
Registered
722 Posts
Ok so here's a question, 2000 v6 with svt uim, lim, tb, 75mm maf, kkm intake, custom cat back, diablo sport, dual mass damper, suspension mods and a serious lead foot..... Could i pull a some what respectible (Keep in mind i realize it's and automatic) time???

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Damn... 17.2... I'm glad I don't drive a school bus, because there would be NO WAY I could keep up with you (assuming you remember to manually shift and launch). ;)

Edit: And by the way, I managed to run a 15.9 in my ATX Coog... that was with 155hp at the wheels. Get some headers, lose the restrictive cats, and you should be able to run some half-way decent times.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts