New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am really bad about spending gift cards and when I do usually try to get the best deals possible and not just waste someone's money. I had a $200 gift card since Xmas from the in-laws and finally spent some of it. Limited to buying from Amazon which I have had some luck with in the past, (but also have run into not being able to buy certain things also) I decided to buy a new tool to help me out in replacing my starter in my RAM truck. Found this AC Delco Heavy Duty version for $125 shipped. They had a regular version along with many other no name brands for about $75. Those have about 40 foot lbs of torque and this one is rated at about 100 ft. lbs.

The Milwaukie and Makita wrenches are almost double the price I paid though they are probably very good tools. The AC Delco feels nice and durable and zipped off my starter bolts in seconds when I'm sure the limited access would have meant a lot longer with a manual wrench. This should make my life much easier and seems like a good purchase so far. I'll be re-installing the new starter tomorrow and expect it to go just as quickly. I got the 3/8 inch wrench since that will handle the majority of all jobs just fine. If I was in the garage a lot I can see having a 1/4 and a 1/2 on hand also. It was nice not having to pull out airlines and run a compressor too.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Made re installing the starter a breeze, and then helped me pull out an old column in my C10 and replace it, twice in fact when I did it wrong the first time. I'll definitely be using this thing once I break loose any stubborn bolts. I don't know if they all operate this way, but it seems to stop as a safety once it reaches the point where the bolt isn't turning anymore. It will go through quite a few impacts before saying "ok it isn't getting any tighter. you then have to release the handle and then press again to re engage the impacts but it will again do the same thing after 5 or 6 impact attempts. The wrench can also be used to hand tighten to 100 lbs, which I did crank on a little bit to make sure all the bolts were actually in there tight. Confirmed with the hand wrench afterwards.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts